people who switch computers alot what is your tricks to save time?

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
i foudn myself upgrading pcs rather often in last few years and im getting tired of starting from fresh windows install and having to move everything and change all the settings again for the 10000th time.( it was more fun during windows 98 and xp days but not so much anymore

what do you do when you go through computers faster than civic owners go through wheels?

migration software? does it work when switching to different hardware setup or only when you are switching drives on same PC?
do you use some type of server?

or using a second drive with all your installations but then you have to take ownership of the drive on new pc and i tried doing that one time and it was a headache
just want to see what people do in these situations

I always start fresh, as far as software in concerned. I will transfer over my storage drives but anything else is installed from scratch.

i foudn myself upgrading pcs rather often in last few years and im getting tired of starting from fresh windows install and having to move everything and change all the settings again for the 10000th time.( it was more fun during windows 98 and xp days but not so much anymore

what do you do when you go through computers faster than civic owners go through wheels?

migration software? does it work when switching to different hardware setup or only when you are switching drives on same PC?

or using a second drive with all your installations but then you have to take ownership of the drive on new pc and i tried doing that one time and it was a headache
Don't understand what you are talking about, it just seems only that you don't know much about computers. That looks to be the main problem.

Not very helpful tehnokraat. Anyway no don't do it. Take your files from the old pc by copying everything in the "User" folder. Then do a brand new install of the operating system and programs. I know it's a chore but if you do it any other way you are liable to migrate all the junk and possible viri and malware that have accumilated on your old computer. Oh and don't forget to transfer your internet bookmarks to the new browser.

Games stay on D drive, everything else fresh. I keep an install folder on my server that has everything I need to just reinstall quickly.

Don't understand what you are talking about, it just seems only that you don't know much about computers. That looks to be the main problem.
you are correct.
i have been out of the computer business for at least 10 years. i probably forgot more than you know
and i never had an arrogant attitude towards people who know less than me.
if i know something it doesnt cost me anything to answer.
now i might charge a corny joke or two at your expense but at least i provide some info with that

Games stay on D drive, everything else fresh. I keep an install folder on my server that has everything I need to just reinstall quickly.
are you using msoft account or local account? i had not so fun time takign ownership of my drive last time switching between home and pro version pcs

I always start fresh, as far as software in concerned. I will transfer over my storage drives but anything else is installed from scratch.
i miss having a custom windows cd with all the settings loaded up and custom themes lol

yup
Yesterday I made the switch from 7 Pro to 10 LTSC and reinstalling my software was easier than I expected (with software licenses and such) My browser kept all my bookmarks, except that I have to log into all sites now due to losing my cookies. But firefox also kept my saved passwords which made this painless

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom