Joining a computer to a Domain Controller

'The domain cannot be contacted' error message using the netbios name

correction... the Active Directory for domain cannot be contacted

Ok, next step, you were talking about network adapters before...

If you look on the computer to see how many network adapters show up, what would that be?

connections.jpg

2 network adapters. 1 is the wireless and the other is a software nic for my vpn client. It's inactive and the only one active is the wireless.

I will also mention that I have several other computers joined to the DC and I am able to access network resources through them. This machine was joined to the domain but was having problems accessing network resources so I thought I would dis-join and re-join to see it that cured the problems and this is now where it is.

Hmm... If your AD environment is under a 2003 functional level, you can try disabling IPv6 on the wireless adapter and see if that works.

I tried disabling it in the properties but I get the same results.

I get the same result after I disabled it in the nic properties
Here are some images of what I'm seeing.

I have switched back to the USB NIC also with the same results

2-19-20143-22-41PM.png

2-19-20143-20-46PM.png

2-19-20143-51-05PM.png

Same results. I posted some pics but waiting on the moderator so I thought I would at least get you an update

so I ran nslookup up from the DC and got this...

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.12: Non-existent domain
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.12

Last edited by a moderator:
so I ran nslookup up from the DC and got this...

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.12: Non-existent domain
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.12
You ran that on the DC? Or the client? If you ran that on the client, then somehow DNS from the DC is not getting to the client at all.

To check out other possibilities, you could try adding 192.168.1.12 to your HOSTS file and map it directly with the DC.

Last edited:
Sorry, I also edited my comment from before.

Is the DC running DNS? If it is, is its DNS address statically assigned to 127.0.0.1?

Also, nslookup doesn't work with IP addresses just FQDN's.

Yes, it is running DNS. The properties show this

2-19-20144-30-15PM.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I think that is what's causing the issue with the public domain.

Yes, it's running DNS. The DNS addresses on the DC NIC are pointed to Google as primary and Comcast as secondary.

I changed it to 192.168.1.12 then flushed the dns on the DC and the computer I am trying to join and got the same message.

I then tried 127.0.0.1 flushed the dns on the DC and the computer I am trying to join and got the same message.

I made the DNS changes to the DC NIC a while back. It usually pointed to my router at 192.168.1.1 which then connects to the cable modem

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom