i got a big subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.
EricB said:
???

a good producer will mix on computer speakers, stock car audio, headphones, earbuds, etc.

Wow.....

yep. mixing to what the average listener will be listening on. A mix might sound fantastic on studio monitors, but like crap on car speakers.

A good producer will do the mix through at least most of these, and the obvious studio monitors.

Eagleboy said:
yep. mixing to what the average listener will be listening on. A mix might sound fantastic on studio monitors, but like crap on car speakers.

A good producer will do the mix through at least most of these, and the obvious studio monitors.

now wonder a lot of today's artist sucks.

10-20 years ago they did the opposite. anything that is recorded good will alway sounds as good as the source playing it. but anything that is recorded shitty (that what will happen if you use car stock or computer speakers as reference) will still sound shitty even when played through the best speakers in the world.

EricB said:
now wonder a lot of today's artist sucks.

10-20 years ago they did the opposite. anything that is recorded good will alway sounds as good as the source playing it. but anything that is recorded shitty (that what will happen if you use car stock or computer speakers as reference) will still sound shitty even when played through the best speakers in the world.

umm, no. They mix it so it will sound good on everything the listener will have, AND the monitors. It's not mixing specifically for computer speakers or whatever, those other audio sources are for checking it. Such as, if it's too bassy in a car setup, or if the mids are lacking on computer speakers, etc. It's just a way to check and tweak the final mix.

EricB: he's right in the sense that you should mix-down using different systems. Many studios will have 3-4 sets of speakers (from perfect, really good, OK, to radioshack). Its normal procedure... nothing special. Most of the time it will take around 1-2 weeks to mix a single song down before mastering. During that time, you can do many different mixes and you take them to different speakers, systems, etc to see how it all sounds best. He's exactly right.

Eagleboy said:
Oh, and my 3-way floor standing Pioneers have a freq. range of 32hz-20khz

OK... very good... you can read labels. Yes, the label says 32hz. Can it handle that at normal power ratings? Peak or RMS? I have tons of speakers that say that they can go 30-40hz. For instance, I think my altec lansing sub has a rating of 40 or 50hz. I thought, well thats gotta be wrong. So... i route a 50 hz tone through the sub. Utter chaos. Sounded like an old lady on the toilet after a night of taco bell. Just because your label says that doesn't mean it can handle it WELL. Another fact is, can the crossover handle that frequency? Maybe your crossover cuts at 50hz. As matter of fact, my HS had a $5 pair of headphones that they had me buy. The freq range said 10hz-20khz. First off, we can't even hear that range. Second, they did NOT handle no 10hz.

Dont believe every label you see.

20hz is not the cutoff for everybody's hearing.

And GOOD headphones can go down to 10hz. I was able to pick up 17hz on my friend's AKG headphones. Nothing below 17, though. I know that some people can hear down to 5hz. Just like some people can hear above 20khz.

All I know is that my speakers can handle a bass E (43.1hz?) pretty well. And that's all I need them to handle. My headphones do that with ease, but I don't know how much lower they can handle well (Sennheiser 515).

BTW, do you know what the average freq. of a bass drum is? I'm curious now.

no dip they can go that low. $5 no name headphones can't do that. They weren't even stereo.

Alright... trying to make me look dumb now aren't you? If your talkin about th e lowest frequency a bass drum hits, its around 50hz. to be exact, 51.913hz with a wavelength of 21.767 feet in the key of G. The highest frequency is normall around 2,000-3,000hz. Its all relative to the drummers style, the tuning of the drum, the heads, and the drum itself. I'm a musician too... dont think i'm a retard.

The hz of an e string on a bass is 41.2

Eagleboy said:
20hz is not the cutoff for everybody's hearing.

And GOOD headphones can go down to 10hz. I was able to pick up 17hz on my friend's AKG headphones. Nothing below 17, though. I know that some people can hear down to 5hz. Just like some people can hear above 20khz.

All I know is that my speakers can handle a bass E (43.1hz?) pretty well. And that's all I need them to handle. My headphones do that with ease, but I don't know how much lower they can handle well (Sennheiser 515).

BTW, do you know what the average freq. of a bass drum is? I'm curious now.

human can hear down to about 22-23 hz. frequencies below that we can feel. most men hear out to 16,000 hz. most women hear out to 23,000 hz

that said I still love the sound of ribbon tweeters (response out to 50khz). I would rather hear a 13,000 hz note by a speaker playing out to 50 kHz to hearing that note being play to a speaker the response go to 10 kHz (most tweeters)

Eagleboy what are the tolerance of those pioneers?

My 11semk3 are +2db 45-20,000 hz with the -3 point of 28. this is an accurate measurement, not some number a manufacture will put on a speaker just to sell it.

saying something has response from 32-20 kHz mean nothing without tolerance. 32 hz could 50 db down, meaning you can't hear it

Paradigm11seMK34.jpg

Paradigm11seMK33.jpg

Eagleboy said:
Oh, and my 3-way floor standing Pioneers have a freq. range of 32hz-20khz

The e string on a bass guitar is 43.1hz, I think.

Right in that range, hmmmm...

As it's been said... don't always believe those labels.

But let's not forget one of the most versatile instruments of all, the grand piano. Lowest note: 27.5 hz. I think it's safe to say that you'd be hearing silence. Ignoring your supposed 32hz-20khz range, let's just say your speakers could play that note. In that case, their output would be absolutely miniscule, no where near what the performer wants his audience to hear.

Not surprisingly, this whole arguement (like many in the audio world) boils right down to one thing: personal preference. I for one love subs. They definitely have their place (for many reasons) as far as I'm concerned.

anyone see the new pimp my ride that showed today. they put a mtx jack hammer in a buick century. god damn that needs alot of power 5 amps 3 batteries and 6 capacitors. jesus plus it took like half the trunk and backseat up. that thing is a monster

Crysalis said:
no dip they can go that low. $5 no name headphones can't do that. They weren't even stereo.

Alright... trying to make me look dumb now aren't you? If your talkin about th e lowest frequency a bass drum hits, its around 50hz. to be exact, 51.913hz with a wavelength of 21.767 feet in the key of G. The highest frequency is normall around 2,000-3,000hz. Its all relative to the drummers style, the tuning of the drum, the heads, and the drum itself. I'm a musician too... dont think i'm a retard.

The hz of an e string on a bass is 41.2

I didn't say you were a retard... and I am also a musician. I have some decent recording gear, and I am learning drum kit---So I was seriously just curious about the bass drum. Who said I was trying to make you look stupid?

anyway, I'm happy with my old Pioneers until I have money to blow on a set of B&W, McIntosh, or Boston Acoustic speakers. And whoever said they probably sound thin---they don't. The lower mids are a little lacking and the clarity of the upper mids and highs could definitely be better, but by any means they're not thin sounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom