Wife's laptop overheating issues

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
My wife purchased a ROG G513 laptop 18 months ago
She is big on PC gaming. Clocks up a lot of hours (about 2000 hours) on ARK survival Evolved.
Earlier this year, we started getting random shut downs during ARK. Purchase a cooling pad with fan. Working fine since.
Problems starting again last month. Even with the cooling pad. So I have cleaned out the fans (lots of dust). Problem still continuing.
She did put an ice pack under the cooling pad to allow cool air to blow on the PC. This is working until the ice pack thaws out.

I am thinking about removing the heat sink for GPU and CPU and re-applying the thermal paste. I only want to this once. Is Artic Silver still the best thing out there?
Also, what is thermal putty? I saw this mentioned in youtube video.

Sorry to sound a little slow. 10+ years working corporate IT has let my PC hardware skill get a little out of date.

Update -- completed a little bit of googling, tom's hardware, etc
Picking up some Artic MX-6. I should have it from Amazon on Monday.

You say you cleaned the fans but everything else is not cleaned? Maybe the radiators are clogged at all?
18 months for such a laptop is too long time not to clean them and everything else, but replacing the thermal paste is scarcely needed and likely gives no effect at all.

Update -- completed a little bit of googling, tom's hardware, etc
Picking up some Artic MX-6. I should have it from Amazon on Monday.
Probably a 1" layer of dust/hair you'll need to clear out from the exhaust ports when you repaste. This needs to be blown out every 6 months.

Here are a few things that you can do to prevent overheating:

1. Clean your laptop to avoid dust regularly as it slows down the device.
2. Place your laptop away from hot objects or direct sunlight.
3. Invest in a laptop cooler to avoid overheating.

Here is the complete guide to help you out: https://wethegeek.com/how-to-prevent-your-laptop-from-overheating/
1. Done. I live in a dusty area. I have invested in a good quality air blower. Cleared out the fans and heatsinks.
2. Done. Not close to any windows
3. Done. She first had some problems with the laptop over heating back in January (Australian Summer). We purchased a laptop cooler. Most of year, the problem has not been there. However in the last month or so, the problem has returned. There has been a few times where she has place an ice pack under the laptop cooler.

You say you cleaned the fans but everything else is not cleaned? Maybe the radiators are clogged at all?
18 months for such a laptop is too long time not to clean them and everything else, but replacing the thermal paste is scarcely needed and likely gives no effect at all.
Both fan and radiators where the first thing I cleaned.

Artic MX6 arrived this week. Just had some real life to deal with afterwords.
Yesturday afternoon, I was doing some futher research.

1. Speed Fan installed and it was reporting that the PC was already at 98c (208 F) :eek: on boot up. The temp drops back down after a few minutes. But as soon as you do anything, it spikes.

2. Google Fu on the laptop model. It's an Asus ROG 513YQ . Lots a report of this model suddenly experiencing over heating issues at 18 months. Asus know about this issue, but they are claiming this is normal. I am going to blame the AMD CPU and GPU as the history I have was with AMD is that they run hot.

Today, I have cleaned out the existing thermal paste (Liquid Metal) and applied the MX-6. Big drop in temps on boot up. 72c (161F).
Big improvement.
I have hand the laptop back to my wife. She is going to play some more ARK and maybe some Starfield or Subnaughtica this afternoon.
See how we go.

I am going to blame the AMD CPU and GPU as the history I have was with AMD is that they run hot.
It's running hot because they're overvolting it like Asus does everything else on the market.
Today, I have cleaned out the existing thermal paste (Liquid Metal) and applied the MX-6. Big drop in temps on boot up. 72c (161F).
Big improvement.
If it had actual liquid metal in there and moving to paste decreased temps, it means that the liquid metal application was messed up or the clearancing of the heatsink is bad making improper contact. Liquid metal is the best thing you can use over any paste, but paste is an easier application during maintenance.
I'd download ThrottleStop and see if you can't manually decrease multiplier or voltage to make it even cooler over a long period of time.

If it had actual liquid metal in there and moving to paste decreased temps, it means that the liquid metal application was messed up or the clearancing of the heatsink is bad making improper contact. Liquid metal is the best thing you can use over any paste, but paste is an easier application during maintenance.
Friend of mine was commenting that i should have not messed/removed around with the liquid metal.
However the Speed Fan is reporting a noticeable difference in temperature from the computer.
I can report a noticeable difference in temperature from my wife as she enjoyed hours of uninterruptable gameplay yesterday afternoon.
Happy WIfe Happy Life.

Back
Top Bottom