Blu-ray pwnage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The General said:

So you live in the middle of no where, cool. That's where I would expect there to be no Playstation 3's...
Cool, you must live in the middle of consumer heaven then, never having to worry about not being able to buy something because it is out-of-stock. It must be nice to walk outside and into a large retail store? Yep, must be the life...

wtk pro l said:
In Columbia, SC there are 3 EB Games that have signs on the door that say "WE HAVE PS3s, BUY THEM". Then I get walk into anywhere and not see a Wii. I went into Best Buy the other day and saw 5 PS3s and 0 Wiis. So yes PS3s are sitting on shelves. :)

Yep, that's what it's like here, and all over Atlanta and Sacramento.

No one wants them.

That's crazy. I live in Portland Oregon and everyone still wants them, they're still not esay to come by, and stores are getting shipments in every single week, if not more.

And whoever said they cost $700, go die. It's $500 and $600. I'm not a fanboy at all, and I want one, and expect to pick up one soon.

@the topic
Yeah, well, we all know that every bit of copy protection will eventually be cracked - likely sooner then later - no matter how cheap it is... there will always be a programmer who is unwilling to pay that penny. :)

@King X13
Yeah, but that quote is just an article...nonetheless it's funny. But hey, that's what cable/satellite is for, right? (The opposition to buying DVDs.)

@Meithan
Precisely... it could not have been stated better.

@The General
If you honestly believe MP3's cost any more to reproduce then DVDs, you must be talking of the larger size -- more space required on the hard drive...

You claim they cost nothing to reproduce - that's true for the most part, with both, when we're talking about the internet.

You also claim that DVDs are worth buying while MP3s are not...yeah, um, what, do you think recording studios among everything else involved is free?

You go see a movie...yeah? Great. You go see a concert...well, even though you might sneak in the back being the person you are, most would buy a ticket: we'll call those even. If either of those two were to cost more, it'd obviously be the band having to travel, bring all of their equipment, and their time. Movies are not done on-the-spot for you.

Buy a DVD? Great. Buy a CD? No...ok, do tell me, what's the difference?

You're seriously blind sighted or something.

Note that I'm not claiming price justifications or anything of the sort - just your mere claim that MP3s are worth nothing (yet you download them anyway) whilst DVDs are worth every penny.

TheOtis said:
That's crazy. I live in Portland Oregon and everyone still wants them, they're still not esay to come by, and stores are getting shipments in every single week, if not more.

And whoever said they cost $700, go die. It's $500 and $600. I'm not a fanboy at all, and I want one, and expect to pick up one soon.

Controllers, 1 game, etc ... Wii = $249, yet I got out of Best Buy with another Wiimote+chuck and CoD3 ... the bill was $385...

Vormund said:
@The General
If you honestly believe MP3's cost any more to reproduce then DVDs, you must be talking of the larger size -- more space required on the hard drive...

Did you read my posts at all? Go read them again. DVD's DO cost something to reproduce, which is why I WILL buy them.

MP3's cost nothing to reproduce, which is why I WON'T buy them.

Originally posted by Vormund You also claim that DVDs are worth buying while MP3s are not...yeah, um, what, do you think recording studios among everything else involved is free?

Concerts and CD revenue is enough, I'm not going to pay for something that can be copied an infinite number of times at no cost. It's a digital file... a CD is a physical object that costs money to duplicate.

I WILL buy CD's. I WILL buy concert tickets.

I WON'T buy MP3's.

Originally posted by Vormund
You go see a movie...yeah? Great. You go see a concert...well, even though you might sneak in the back being the person you are, most would buy a ticket: we'll call those even. If either of those two were to cost more, it'd obviously be the band having to travel, bring all of their equipment, and their time. Movies are not done on-the-spot for you.

They make plenty of money from concerts and CD's, what more could they need? Why should I buy the CD's AND the MP3's??

Buy a DVD? Great. Buy a CD? No...ok, do tell me, what's the difference?

Read the posts again ... I said I WILL buy a CD, NOT and MP3.

You're seriously blind sighted or something.

Don't call me that, you dolt. Read the freaking posts.

Originally posted by Vormund Note that I'm not claiming price justifications or anything of the sort - just your mere claim that MP3s are worth nothing (yet you download them anyway) whilst DVDs are worth every penny.

MP3's are worth $0, so I pay $0 to get them.

Let's review:

Stuff that costs money that I will buy:

DVD
CD
Concert tickets
Movie tickets

Stuff that costs nothing that I won't buy, yet download illegally:

TV shows (until I buy the DVD's once they are released)
MP3 (or other formats of digital content

General, your remarks on mp3's make no sense at all. It has absolutely nothing to do with the media it is on, be it on a CD, or merely an mp3 file. The value is the MUSIC.

You say you buy CD's, then why do you have to download mp3's? Can't you just rip the CD's to mp3?

Now I am not going to stand on a high horse and wave my finger, because I occasionally download music illegally as well. What I won't do is try to justify it by saying it is because it is not worth anything anyways. That is just completely untrue. If it is worthless, why do you want it in the first place.

I'm not paying for the value of the music, because music has no monetary value.

I am paying for the media on which it comes.

Yes, I can just rip my CD's to MP3 for portability, but at least I HAVE something, not just some DRM'd-out $1 set of arranged 1's and 0's on my harddrive that I can obtain for free without shop lifting or directly stealing from someone.

Think about it - if I were to steal some old ladies purse, that would be a crime.

But what if I could look at her purse, and create an exact copy of it in my room. She still has her purse, and I have a copy of it. Is that a crime? I didn't steal it, she still has it. I merely made a copy.

What if I look inside a bank vault with this duplication device, and duplicated some stacks of cash. They still have theirs so I didn't steal it...

What about a computer?

What about computer software?

What about music?

I'm not paying for the value of the music, because music has no monetary value.

I am paying for the media on which it comes.
Are you kidding me? So when you pay $15 for a CD, you are paying $15 for just the disk, it has nothing to do with the music that is on it? Do you also make a habit of paying $15 for your blank CD-R's?

that I can obtain for free without shop lifting or directly stealing from someone.
So because it doesn't actually take any balls to commit the theft it makes it less of a crime?

But what if I could look at her purse, and create an exact copy of it in my room. She still has her purse, and I have a copy of it. Is that a crime? I didn't steal it, she still has it. I merely made a copy.

What if I look inside a bank vault with this duplication device, and duplicated some stacks of cash. They still have theirs so I didn't steal it...

What about a computer?
Why don't we get back to this argument when Captain Kirk and Spock are around so they can fully explain that technology to us.

What about computer software?
It is the same.

What about music?
Yeah, that is what we are talking about :rolleyes:

idiotec said:
Are you kidding me? So when you pay $15 for a CD, you are paying $15 for just the disk, it has nothing to do with the music that is on it? Do you also make a habit of paying $15 for your blank CD-R's?

So because it doesn't actually take any balls to commit the theft it makes it less of a crime?

Why don't we get back to this argument when Captain Kirk and Spock are around so they can fully explain that technology to us.

It is the same.

Yeah, that is what we are talking about :rolleyes:

I pay for the disc, I pay for the cover art, and I pay for the jewel case. Yes, they cost about $10 more than they should, but it is the only way I can get the CD so yeah.

It is a victim-less crime, therefore it is not a crime.

Kirk and Spock? It is the same principle ... think about it ... places like iTunes ... its the same thing as if there were a CD store that had a replicator, and just replicated the disc every time someone bought one. It costs them nothing but the cost of the replicator.

Get real dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom