Blu-ray pwnage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, i could care less about blu-ray versus HD-DVD, but one thing I do know is that the Wii is probably one of the worst systems i have ever played on. I can't stand it. Its basically an N64 with RAM, DVD and motion sensitive controllers (like duck hunt...)

Who really gives a **** over which disc is better? If it works, cool!

I dont know what your talking about when you say that PS3 are filling up store space, all stores up here are sold out and have been sold out for a while. And dont pull your fanboy crap out on me, I could care less about any stupid console. I have other things I would rather spend my money on then a stupid wii, ps2 or 360.

Crysalis said:
IMHO, i could care less about blu-ray versus HD-DVD, but one thing I do know is that the Wii is probably one of the worst systems i have ever played on. I can't stand it. Its basically an N64 with RAM, DVD and motion sensitive controllers (like duck hunt...)

People really don't get it ... The graphics on the Wii really don't matter. Wii sports has as good of graphics as they need to be, graphics don't make a game fun.

thebleakness said:
Who really gives a **** over which disc is better? If it works, cool!

Sony fanboys, that's about it. Luckily you aren't one, otherwise I'd have to flame you.

thebleakness said:
I dont know what your talking about when you say that PS3 are filling up store space, all stores up here are sold out and have been sold out for a while. And dont pull your fanboy crap out on me, I could care less about any stupid console. I have other things I would rather spend my money on then a stupid wii, ps2 or 360.

Go to Best Buy, I guarantee there are at least 2 PS3's.

The General said:
Music costs money to make, thats why they sell CDs and play shows and sell tickets. CDs and concerts cost money, but if you're telling me that it costs Apple $1 to send me a digital file that costs $0 to reproduce then you are freaking insane.
they do have to maintain servers so that they can reproduce those songs. There's the large bandwith internet connection, a big power bill, hard drive storage for all the files they have etc.

I saw one PS3 sitting in futureshop when I went to get my 360. There was no one in the PS3 isle looking for games or anything. I didn't see anything Wii consoles but I wasn't really looking for them.

Anyways, if the blu-ray player in the PS3 is anything like the DVD player in the PS2 then it will die in about a year, and I have reason to believe this is true since the PS3 is so much cheaper than other blu-ray players. Anyways, microsoft will win the format war for two reasons:

1) They are Microsoft
2) HD DVD carries the DVD name, and from a consumer point of view, HD DVD is much easier to understand that blu-ray

Apokalipse said:
they do have to maintain servers so that they can reproduce those songs. There's the large bandwith internet connection, a big power bill, hard drive storage for all the files they have etc.

That's the thing. Stop running the server.

Bittorrent seems to work perfectly fine for transmitting data... :rolleyes:

thebleakness said:
Thats must be it then. I have to drive over 2 hours to get to the nearest best buy.

So you live in the middle of no where, cool. That's where I would expect there to be no Playstation 3's...

gaara said:
2) HD DVD carries the DVD name, and from a consumer point of view, HD DVD is much easier to understand that blu-ray

That is a good point.

So you live in the middle of no where, cool. That's where I would expect there to be no Playstation 3's...

I live in a very large retail area. No Ps3's here.....

Best Buy
Sears
EB Games (2 of them within 1 mile)
Toys r' Us
Target
Walmart (they had 2 about 1 week ago and are gone now)
Coconuts
FYE

I think The General is an MPAA covert agent :eek:.

Seriously, though, this is a sensitive issue, and it permeates a huge portion of the consumer market, not only movies and music (think computer software, for instance).

I am a supporter of the GPL, copyleft and all that, but to be honest there is a fundamental problem with these things: the world is run by money, and so programmers, musicians, actors etc need to get paid something, if only it is to allow them to pay the bills and support their families. And let's be honest: we also need to pay people in charge of producing and distributing, because they are a necessary part of the process.

The real problem is not whether we should pay for a music CD or a computer game DVD. It's how much. This leads to asking: of every dollar spent on the latest movie DVD, how much of it really goes to the people who deserve it? And who are the persons that really deserve it, in the first place?

The truth is that in our world the price of such commodities is really dictated by the greed of large corporations, not by how much work was needed to design, make and sell the product. It is a byproduct of the principal flaw of the capitalist system: it allows some individuals to get unreasonably wealthy. A movie actor getting paid $20 million for a few month's work is not reasonable, at least not in my opinion. Again, salaries like these are the consequence of greed, not of fair distribution of wealth.

All I'm saying is that we (as a society) need to find a middle point between 100% free products (which are not compatible with the world as it is) and the greed-based pricing policies of the current entertainment industry.

Laws regarding copyright should be impulsed by a desire to protect intellectual production, not the profit of multi-millionaire corporations. Pricing policies should be set according to a fair distribution of salaries among those responsible for the final product. In the end, salaries should be determined according the level of expertise and the thereby required level of education of a particular position. In my opinion, the programmer (in the case of software) should get paid more than the sales rep, even if both are required for the ultimate release of the product.

Anyway, I'm rambling. The fact that Blue-Ray copy protection has been broken should be a warning to the entertainment industry: there is something fundamentally wrong with the way the market is manipulated.

In Columbia, SC there are 3 EB Games that have signs on the door that say "WE HAVE PS3s, BUY THEM". Then I get walk into anywhere and not see a Wii. I went into Best Buy the other day and saw 5 PS3s and 0 Wiis. So yes PS3s are sitting on shelves. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom