headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potamogeton

Beta member
Help!

I bought headphones for my computer and plugged them in the back with a splitter into the speaker port. I cannot get sound on them except by turning off digital output in which case I get sound in only one half of the headphones. I have tried the phones in other audio devices and they work fine. I have also tried switching to settings for headphones instead of stereo speakers to no avail. I have also tried turning up the volume since there is no preamp for them. I have two sound cards and have tried alternating between them but both only give sound in one phone. Getting frustrated. Its probably something really simple but its alluded me so far. I would very much appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Robin

Your sound card may not support two devices at the same time and only one at the time can work. Or it might be that your cable that you are using may not function properly. Test your cable at something else other than your computer than try it.

Cnico88,

Thanks for your reply. I spent more time on this last night and discovered what is happening. I found out when both cables are plugged in to the splitter that on switching off digital ouput the headphones will only play one channel. You switch back to digital and the speakers play. BUT, when you plug the headphones directly in to the port without the splitter that both channels play. So, there's either something wrong with the splitter or not enough power to drive both outputs simultaneously from the sound card. I suppose the only thing to do is replace the splitter and see if its just something wrong with the cable (which seems unlikely given how simple it is). Any other thoughts?

Well I replaced the splitter and it still does the same thing; only playing out of one channel. So I assume it has something to do with the sound card. I'm stumped at this point. Anyone have any suggestions?

update the software and firmware for your card and also go into the control panel for your sound and set it to headphones

Thanks,

I think it is something about the card. Maybe software upgrade would do it. I tried switching to phones etc....

You can by actual switchboxes and maybe that would work since there are not two devices being supported simultaneously.

Rob

No there are no jacks on the speakers or the woofer for phones. Some have them these Boston's don't. Rather than screwing around longer I think I will just purchase a switcher box (which is more expensive) but I think will work.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom