Wireless router, multiple SSIDs, One normal and one being VPN - Possible?

OveMarkstrom

Beta member
Hi all,

Background
I have an iPad and Apple TV, both connected to my home network, let's call it 'Normal_SSID'. I'm in the US but watch Swedish programming on my iPad, which I display on my TV via Airplay / Apple TV. All is well when the programming is unrestricted, but in order to view restricted content that you can only watch in Sweden, I go via a Swedish VPN so the IP accessing the content is Swedish. This works fine on the iPad, but when I try to display this on the Apple TV it doesn't work because the Apple TV is connected to my network with a US IP address. There's no way to have the Apple TV go via VPN so the restriction detects that it's trying to send this from the iPad (Swedish IP via VPN) to a US IP address and blocks it.

What I want to do
If there's an easier way I'm all ears, but what I'm thinking is to have multiple SSIDs, one the 'Normal_SSID' and then a second 'VPN_SSID' for the router, and have the Apple TV connected to the VPN with a Swedish IP, then when I need to access the Swedish programming from the iPad, connected to a Swedish IP via VPN, I can send it to the Apple TV which now also would have a Swedish IP.

Is this possible, and if so, how can I do this?

Thanks,
Ove

Last edited:
i find it odd that the appletv still detects a US IP and blocks the content. It would have to reach out to the internet to grab that info. removing the default gateway would prevent the US detection on the Apple TV but it may break the airplay too.

another alternative to airplay is airparrot. see link below

AirPlay mirror your Windows or Mac computer to an Apple TV

what you describe would be possible. I would check to see if your current hardware supports it. Multiple ssids and vpn connection settings.

otherwise, take a look at this solution linked below.

Apple TV VPN Settings

Thanks a lot for that info. I was baffled too that Apple TV detects it but have tested it extensively and there's no doubt it only blocks restricted content even via VPN. The unrestricted (world wide) content plays perfectly fine both over VPN and without VPN.

My current router does not support multiple SSIDs but I have a second one I might be able to use with DD-WRT if it's supported.

You mentioned 'removing the default gateway' - how do I do that?

you would have to dig into network ip settings and set a static ip. leave default gateway blank or all zeros ... or use a fake address. This way the apple tv wont be able to connect to the internet.

Back
Top Bottom