3 SSIDS Question

Hamsnacks

Beta member
Hello,

I currently have Telus 1GB Optic Fiber Internet and the WIFI is extremely slow. Few techs over the months and the end result was 2 Modems in 2 different places of the house. But the internet is still weak.

I have the 1 SSID from the 1 Modem "TelusHome"
Then from the other modem we have, "Telus1-5G & Telus1-2.4G"

There are devices connected to all 3, would this cause an issue with interference and all?
Is "TelusHome" 5G?

Any suggestions to make the WIFI a bit more reliable and steady.

Thank you

You should have 1 main wifi router and ideally a wifi extender, the extender will be hard wired to your existing main router and extends the network.

With regards to interference, yes, what you have done will make both routers potentially conflict with each other every now and then if the wifi channel they use overlap.

Yes sorry I was wrong, you have the 1 modem giving off "TelusHome" and then the Extender giving off Telus1-5G & Telus1-2.4G.

Should I disable one of the networks?

Yes sorry I was wrong, you have the 1 modem giving off "TelusHome" and then the Extender giving off Telus1-5G & Telus1-2.4G.

Should I disable one of the networks?

is the extender hard wired to the main router?

its better to have 1 SSID, so when you move around your house, your devices will connect to the stronger signal , so either the main router or the extender, makes it more fluid. plus yes, you dont get interference between both wifi channels.

If you want 2 wifi SSIDs, then just make sure they are on different channels from eachother and the houses next to you.

youd want to use a wifi analyser to check that out.

is the extender hard wired to the main router?

its better to have 1 SSID, so when you move around your house, your devices will connect to the stronger signal , so either the main router or the extender, makes it more fluid. plus yes, you dont get interference between both wifi channels.

If you want 2 wifi SSIDs, then just make sure they are on different channels from eachother and the houses next to you.

youd want to use a wifi analyser to check that out.

I've had issues in the past naming my 5GHz and 2.4GHz SSID's the same; so I ended up having to name them differently.

I've had issues in the past naming my 5GHz and 2.4GHz SSID's the same; so I ended up having to name them differently.

good point! the wifi networks with same SSID need to be on same GHz range as some of your devices may not be compatible with either 2.4 or 5GHz.

Combining SSIDs doesn't matter unless you have 2.4GHz only items, and only sometimes will they still be able to connect.

More than likely all of this is irrelevant anyways. If you're expecting full 1Gb internet speeds through the wifi, it'll never happen. At least on current hardware, and for damn sure not through hardware provided by the ISP.

Combining SSIDs doesn't matter unless you have 2.4GHz only items, and only sometimes will they still be able to connect.

More than likely all of this is irrelevant anyways. If you're expecting full 1Gb internet speeds through the wifi, it'll never happen. At least on current hardware, and for damn sure not through hardware provided by the ISP.

The OP asked about the following,

S

So i advised on that only.

And yes it does matter if your on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz , to get around that for all your devices you can dual band your AP SSIDs so will work with any device.

And will automatically switch to strongest signal.

These are the points the OP was asking about.

The OP asked about the following,

S

So i advised on that only.

And yes it does matter if your on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz , to get around that for all your devices you can dual band your AP SSIDs so will work with any device.

And will automatically switch to strongest signal.

These are the points the OP was asking about.
You missed the key point here:

I currently have Telus 1GB Optic Fiber Internet and the WIFI is extremely slow.
That is why I said what I said. The user is more than likely expecting the full bandwidth of his connection which is impossible through wifi under normal circumstances, let alone through ISP hardware. If that's the case then juggling signals is moot because "extremely slow" could be getting a 250Mb down when they're expecting 900Mb plus which isn't gonna happen.

I pinpointed this specific line because I have the same issue in my HOA FB page with a ton of people complaining about their "unstable internet" when it's in fact merely them not understanding the technical constraints of WiFi and everything revolving around it. There's a dude who takes any chance he gets to constantly post nothing but "ATT SUCKS" with a speedtest list screenshot showing his phone showing 200Mb-350Mb speeds. Nothing anybody says will change his mind and it's like his mission to just post that constantly.

You missed the key point here:

That is why I said what I said. The user is more than likely expecting the full bandwidth of his connection which is impossible through wifi under normal circumstances, let alone through ISP hardware. If that's the case then juggling signals is moot because "extremely slow" could be getting a 250Mb down when they're expecting 900Mb plus which isn't gonna happen.

I pinpointed this specific line because I have the same issue in my HOA FB page with a ton of people complaining about their "unstable internet" when it's in fact merely them not understanding the technical constraints of WiFi and everything revolving around it. There's a dude who takes any chance he gets to constantly post nothing but "ATT SUCKS" with a speedtest list screenshot showing his phone showing 200Mb-350Mb speeds. Nothing anybody says will change his mind and it's like his mission to just post that constantly.

fair dos, apologies!

We covered both his issues then :cool:

Back
Top Bottom