Wired (Vista) and wireless (Windows 7) on same network?

I opened my Printer folder on the PC and shared it as you suggested. I then went to print a document from the laptop, but the printer doesn't show up as an option....

I still don't think the devices are communicating with each other...i.e.: are they really on the same network? See my 9:30 post....

Yes they're on the same network. If you want to make sure, get the internal IP of each PC, and try to ping each other from command prompt. If you get a reply, then it's on the same network.

As for the printer issue... You need to add the printer on the laptop through Devices and Printers. And then browse to your other PC over the network (it may automatically find it in the network printer list as well if you've properly shared the printer).

Yes they're on the same network. If you want to make sure, get the internal IP of each PC, and try to ping each other from command prompt. If you get a reply, then it's on the same network.

Okay, I found the IP's for both computers.....how do I ping them from the Command Prompt?

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out. I pinged the laptop from my PC and it replied. So I guess they're on the same network. However, neither Network Sharing Center shows the other computer on the network.

Last edited:
I opened my Printer folder on the PC and shared it as you suggested. I then went to print a document from the laptop, but the printer doesn't show up as an option....
Sharing the Printer folder isn't what you want to share, you need to share the printer itself. This means you need to open Devices & Printers, right-click on the printer and select "Printer Properties" (make sure you select "Printer Properties" and not "Properties"). On the Printer Properties dialog you will find a tab labeled "Sharing" and a checkbox labeled "Share this printer" that you need to check.

On the laptop, you need to open Devices & Printers then click "Add a printer" then select "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer" and add the printer you shared on the other computer.

You need to make sure that both computers are in the same Workgroup. Click on Start, then right-click on Computer and select Properties. Near the bottom of the properties page you'll see the Workgroup listed. The Workgroup can be named WORKGROUP or another name you choose but make sure that both computers use the SAME Workgroup name.

There's something probably really obvious here I'm just not getting.

So, I've determined they are on the same workgroup, but APPARENTLY they still don't see each other on the network. For instance, I have given full sharing permission for my pictures folder on the PC. How do I then view them on the laptop?

Sharing the Printer folder isn't what you want to share, you need to share the printer itself.....

I shared the printer and then tried to add it to the laptop. No printers were found....I'm assuming this is because the two computers still aren't recognizing each other on my network, which I'm still not convinced is set up correctly. (pulls hair out)

Do I need to install the printer driver(s) on the laptop, or should it just be able to see it and use it? BTW, the printer is wireless capable but I have it hard wired to the PC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom