Wired (Vista) and wireless (Windows 7) on same network?

Here's what it shows: (Note that the only computer shown on the Network is MICHAEL-PC. CHERYL-PC (the laptop) isn't there....)

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 5
And here is the screenshot from the laptop. Note the network name is different. I assumed in an earlier post that even though they are different names, that since they are connected to the same router that they were on the same network. Is this not correct?

Attachments

• cheryl screenshot.jpg
    cheryl screenshot.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 8
Here's what it shows: (Note that the only computer shown on the Network is MICHAEL-PC. CHERYL-PC (the laptop) isn't there....)
Ok, what shows when you click the two links below all of that information?
Particularly, the "show what network shared folders are on this computer" option.

It shows this (hopefully you can see this clearly....the file is 350 kb on my desktop, but only 38 kb here...how do I make it bigger onscreen?):

Attachments

• Desktop shared.jpg
    Desktop shared.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 5
It shows this (hopefully you can see this clearly....the file is 350 kb on my desktop, but only 38 kb here...how do I make it bigger onscreen?):
No, I can't see it or the other picture. Only the first one you uploaded. JPG's on this site are limited to 97.7KB per file, I'm guessing that it might auto-resize it to shrink it.

Nuts. Okay, the shared folders on the PC are my printer, the printers folder, and the Public folder. What you can't see in the two Network Sharing Centers pictures is that on the PC, it shows MICHAEL-PC (green line) Network 3 (green line) Internet, and on the laptop it shows CHERYL-PC (green line) NETGEaR -Mike1 (green line) Internet. What I'm asking is, are these "networks" one and the same even though they have different names? Both devices are connected to the same router....

Disable Password Protected sharing.

Also make sure sharing is configured correctly.
Under the folder you want to share, right click it > Properties > Sharing tab > and go to Advanced Sharing and make sure 'Everyone' is in the permissions list. If not, click Permissions > Add... > type in the word "Everyone" (without the quotes).

Make sure to give both read/write access (can just give Full Control if you want).

Last edited:
Magnum4c said:
What I'm asking is, are these "networks" one and the same even though they have different names? Both devices are connected to the same router....
If you only have one wireless router to which the laptop is connecting wirelessly and the desktop is physically plugged in to, then yes, it's the same network.

Last edited:
I opened my Printer folder on the PC and shared it as you suggested. I then went to print a document from the laptop, but the printer doesn't show up as an option....

I still don't think the devices are communicating with each other...i.e.: are they really on the same network? See my 9:30 post....

If you only have one wireless router to which the laptop is connecting wirelessly and the desktop is physically plugged in to, then yes, it's the same network.

Yes, this is the case. So why aren't the devices communicating with each other in the Easy File Transfer wizard?

Back
Top Bottom