Windows 8 vs Gaming

katallozi

Solid State Member
11 more days till the great windows 8 comes out, but how great will it be for gaming, ive read plenty of mixed reviews, some saying it will be just the same as the previous windows os's, but others say it will kill gaming altogether. Im buying an X51, just dont know wether to wait for win8 to be released or buy it with win7 now?

Windows 7. I'm not sure if it was lack of drivers, or the crappy OS is just that crappy but here is a pretty graph to give you an idea.

skyrim_operating_systems.jpg

interesting...but then again this was probably run on the consumer preview version on win8. Why did microsoft have to go and change something that already works!

Well, support for 7 will last for years so do like most are doing. Just wait it out. I did it for Vista and the wait was worth it. I've used 7 since beta and will probably use it till the next iteration of Windows.

interesting...but then again this was probably run on the consumer preview version on win8. Why did microsoft have to go and change something that already works!

Depends on when the review was written. MSDN / TechNET users have been able to download the full version of Win8 for a month or two now.

I would first say that it is driver support. First and foremost people have to understand that driver support for Preview or Beta builds is crap at best. Even the drivers released by AMD and nVidia are full of bugs and are only put out cause they are marginally better than the ones used by default. The nVidia drivers do not have CUDA support either. I have tried to use them for things like F@H and other such things and they fail when trying to use CUDA.

So you have to wait till after the 26th and they get some real drivers out for the video adapters with the final code. While MSDN/TechNet and DreamSpark may have access to it, nVidia and AMD have not released a fully compatible driver for the RTM build to date. Even the Release Preview which has been out has only had 1 driver release from both companies and it was crap for both.

To say that Windows 8 is crap for gaming is not true at all. Cause with the lackluster drivers and support for all devices for the builds, as AMD and nVidia are the only ones who released any sort of drivers for the Preview Builds, the benchmarks and other articles trying to claim it will be bad for gaming is all going on opinion and crap drivers. Not until at least XMas when they have had real drivers out and time to do bug fixes for them can you really say that it is going to be crap for gaming.

I gamed on the Windows 7 beta fine without lack of FPS compared to XP, just saying. And Nvidia has WHQL drivers out already for Windows. Then Benchmark done up there was done with those and an Intel setup.

I think Windows 8 looks great for tablets and smartphones. If i get a tablet in the next few years, it will most likely be Windows 8.
But they have taken the 'Post PC' term way too literally, and irregardless of games performance on the OS, it just doesn't feel right (i downloaded the beta for it).

Back
Top Bottom