Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone!

I've decided I need to upgrade to a more modern OS. I am and always will be a die-hard XP user, but I'm starting to become annoyed with certain applications *cough*internetexplorer*cough* that no longer "support" XP. Be that as it may, I've narrowed my choices down to either Windows 7 or Windows 8. Personally, I absolutely hate the Metro UI of Windows 8. I don't want to run what appears to be a tablet OS on my desktop; but that's all about my opinions, not based any facts that have been brought to my attention. With that said, which would you strongest recommend between Windows 8 and Windows 7? (Money is not an issue this time; just want your opinion on the OS choices).

My Personal Opinions on the Two:

I have a few issues Windows 8 based on what I've heard about it, but I haven't had a lot of time to tinker with it so I'm not sure how true these accusations are. The first issue I have (which I KNOW is true), is the driver signature enforcement. Now I know one can temporarily disable this upon startup, but the fact Windows 8 won't allow unsigned drivers natively is in my opinion, ridiculous. Being an XP user, and owning a lot of different or just straight up older hardware, unsigned drivers are sort of my best friends. Plus, you can't permanently disable this enforcement (at least not without having to do it again upon every startup), to the extent of my knowledge. I've also heard things about the OS being overall sticky, bugs everywhere, and that the framework doesn't play nicely in some cases (that however is an example of something I've just heard from my roomate who unfortunately is far more knowledgeable than I).

When it comes to 7, I always looked at it as Windows Vista 2 until I had a chance to use it. But I still don't like the UI, and I don't like the placement of everything. Nonetheless I feel this one is the lesser of the two evils since I have not heard of any issues that really caught my attention for some time. I don't really have anything else to say about Windows 7......

So which would recommend between 7 and 8? Oh, and if there's anything I listed that isn't quite true, please tell me I don't want to carry false information. Thanks for your time. :)

Go with 7 because in my view...8 sux!
I installed 8 a couple days ago, I even used Start 8 so I won't have to deal with the Metro UI so much but I can't even use solitaire without having to purchase it or live with the advertizing it now has. I never did find a way to not use solitaire or several other programs that we always took for granted without being correrced into having to use that confounded Metro desktop. It causes users (and me) to go through several extra steps to do one thing that could be done only once in 7
I added an ei.cfg file to my windows install disk so I could try it again with the RTM version before I decide to use my key on this one. You can use it for 30 days before M$ makes you activate it
Although I personally do not like Windows 8 you can still try it out if you want to, as long as you have a windows 8 disk
Here's a guide that will tell you how to install your windows 8 and then activate after you do the install (you will still need to purchase a key)...kinda like the same way Windows 7 does
How-to: installing Windows 8 without product key - Create a new ISO image file | Hardware.Info United Kingdom

Last edited:
Go with 7 because in my view...8 sux!
I installed 8 a couple days ago, I even used Start 8 so I won't have to deal with the Metro UI so much but I can't even use solitaire without having to purchase it or live with the advertizing it now has. I never did find a way to not use solitaire or several other programs that we always took for granted without being correrced into having to use that confounded Metro desktop. It causes users (and me) to go through several extra steps to do one thing that could be done only once in 7
I added an ei.cfg file to my windows install disk so I could try it again with the RTM version before I decide to use my key on this one. You can use it for 30 days before M$ makes you activate it
Although I personally do not like Windows 8 you can still try it out if you want to, as long as you have a windows 8 disk
Here's a guide that will tell you how to install your windows 8 and then activate after you do the install (you will still need to purchase a key)...kinda like the same way Windows 7 does
How-to: installing Windows 8 without product key - Create a new ISO image file | Hardware.Info United Kingdom

Haha no thanks man I've played with 8 only for a few minutes and I hated it more than Vista. I'm pretty much set on 7 to be honest, just seeing if any fellow techies can change my mind.

I have 8 running in a VM now, and even then it's super fast. I don't mind it at all, honestly.

Several of my friends wiped Win7 on their laptops to use Win8 full time to see if they like it. So far, they all like it.

Honestly, it's personal preference. Try it out, run it (for more than just a few days...). See if you actually like it.

Had my friend install it in a VM as well and he kept sayin "I don't like it, I don't like it." By the end of the night after a few hours messing around in the VM, he changed his mind a bit and now actually kinda likes it.

It's not for me in case you didn't notice...lol
I am not against anybody that wants to use it. As service techs go, Windows 8 is here and it's not going to go away anytime soon so we might as well try to get learning about it much as we can by using it (eeeww) Having a pc with 8 on it might come in handy at some point.
At first I didn't mind using it but within a couple days I got weary of bouncing my mouse all over the screen to get anything done... and they call it charms???

I agree ^ Windows 8 SUCKS. Hardcore. Metro UI is a pita, and I to hate that they don't include anything, you have to sign into windows live to get stuff. I don't even want to start on how much I hate live either..

As for 7, I was in the same boat as the op until about a year and a half ago. XP is great, and I didnt want to switch. Until I say down and dug into 7 one day, and it's actually pretty nice. I have 7 ultimate 64 bit, and (mind you your situation might be different) it runs about as light as xp, not quite, but it's on the cusp. There are a few things it doesn't want to run easily, because it is older software, but I've found workarounds.

Is there a feature or something in particular you are looking for or something you want to do? How do you normally use your computer?

I've no problems with Windows 8, I just think it's more of a "fancy" version of Windows 7 that doesn't really add anything substantial. The only thing I have found to be better is boot up time.

I've no problems with Windows 8, I just think it's more of a "fancy" version of Windows 7 that doesn't really add anything substantial. The only thing I have found to be better is boot up time.

now THAT i will admit, the boot time is insane. my grandpa's laptop is ready to go from a cold boot in under 8 seconds, its impressive.

I moved to windows 8 a few days ago on my main laptop. I am learning to love the new interface its faster to access the information I want when i need it. On startup it loads to the "start" live tile menu and provided there is an internet connection i near instantly see what needs my attention; Emails, Skype, IP address (internal and external), Calender, Facebook, Latest BBC news headline, trending on 9 gag, Weather. On all other variants of Windows thats a few clicks worth of programs on win8 its just there.

I have been using the Release Client on my spare laptop for a while and was not very impressed. I believe thats because its my spare laptop and i never gave it the time to install the apps, programs and get it working properly.

I still have a few gripes as i try and get use to a full metro environment but given a month and I will be as happy as a pig in muck. In settings there is now a reset windows button which clears all temp files and returns windows to a close to fresh install state and speed. And a refresh to factory button if you want to clear everything.

My main annoyance atm is the change in the access for settings of programs.

I agree ^ Windows 8 SUCKS. Hardcore. Metro UI is a pita, and I to hate that they don't include anything, you have to sign into windows live to get stuff. I don't even want to start on how much I hate live either..

As for 7, I was in the same boat as the op until about a year and a half ago. XP is great, and I didnt want to switch. Until I say down and dug into 7 one day, and it's actually pretty nice. I have 7 ultimate 64 bit, and (mind you your situation might be different) it runs about as light as xp, not quite, but it's on the cusp. There are a few things it doesn't want to run easily, because it is older software, but I've found workarounds.

Is there a feature or something in particular you are looking for or something you want to do? How do you normally use your computer?

I apologize for this response being about eight days late. I use my computer for a lot of things; very mild gaming (why I'm building a new rig), basic office use, I occasionally edit videos, remix music in a sense, et cetera. But I also use it to capture gameplay, and things related to that.

Back
Top Bottom