Windows 7 Offline Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_booto

Baseband Member
Hello, I have a laptop with Windows 7 Pro OEM. I need to make a network drive available for the user when they are not on the domain. Here is what I've done so far and the issues I am comming across: (The files are on a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition)

I have setup a network drive and right clicked on it an set it to be made available offline.
Windows then starts to make the offline copies.

While in the process of making the files available offline, errors start to appear saying “The Process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process” (This error Occurs for each file in the directory – 4400+ files) I have tried this multiple times with the user logged off and also checked the file server to ensure that any files are not open. But still the same error occurs.

This issue occurs most times when requesting a sync. It has occasionally worked correctly. ie. it made a copy of the files
After I have seen a successful sync I unplug the computer from the network and try to view the files.

Each file in the directory has a cross on the icon.
When opening any of the files I simply get a message saying that it cannot open the file.

I have turned off the Offline files and deleted all temp files and tried to setup the Offline files again twice now but still had the same problem.

I have found where the offline files are stored: C:\Windows\CSC\....

I have set the user to have full control permissions in this section but neither the Local Admin or User can access these files. I am not sure if this is what is causing it, but I am unable to change permissions on the folders and subfolders.

Just in case I may be getting confused on this issue... Does Windows Sync Center control / manage the offline files? I know that some people have had problems with this in Vista as well and most solutions I have found to the issue is to use 3rd party software.
I have Offline files working perfectly on XP machines and vista machines here already. Was there any big changes to how offline files work between XP and Vista/7 ?

Ok, a bit of an update on this issue:
I made a shared folder on an XP machine. Mapped it on the Windows 7 laptop. Right clicked on it - Made available offline - Works Perfectly!
so obviously its not Sync Center's fault or W7's fault that the offline files don't work for a mapped drive from the Server 2003.

therefore, the problems lies with the server. What would be the most likely cause?
Folder Permissions
User Permissions
Group poloicy
??

the user has full access permissions to the folder on the server.
i don't think that the an offline files polociy is in place either.

Another thing I found, when i go into sync center I go to the offline file options and view offline files.
I find the files highlight one of them and view the details at the bottom of the explorer window. It shows me a that the "offline availability" is "Not Available"
i don't see how to change this, any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom