win7 64 bit restore help

Status
Not open for further replies.

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
OK- Son's Asus lappy is messed up.

I already did scans with Avast and Malwarebytes with no results. Weird thing is, it won't update win7 or Trend, and explorer wont open. But Firefox works just fine. Had a lot of trouble deleting trend- but I did finally get that off, also got cyberpatrol deleted with difficulty - he is 16 ya know.

Since he has nothing that is important on his laptop he said lets just do a complete restore with a backup discs that he made when the laptop was 3 days old. But, alas , we tried that and it wont read the image on the disc. When attempting it said put the "final disc in" - is that right?

Suggestions on how to proceed??

Did you follow all the instructions to use the recovery partition to restore the laptop to factory settings? Is there an option during the advance boot menu to select Repair my PC and from there do a factory reset? That is how I have restored all the 30 displays we have at work back to factory settings. I never use the media, that mainly fixes boot issues. If you want a factory restore you need to take a different route.

I am at work now- so not sure on either question. I don't think it came with install disc- we did a backup as per instructions= the discs referred to in original post. What is weird is that I just called him as he is home from school today with allergies and he is playing Fallout on his laptop without any problems. - it is like windows explorer is the only thing that is messed up - is that possible?? I will check about the install disc when I get home. KSod I don't think it gave me a option to return to factory settings in the advance boot menu - repair my PC. I was in safe mode ( F8 while booting )

Well if you were in Safe Mode, you skipped that option. Once you hit F8 to even get the option for Safe Mode is when you will see the option for Repair My PC. You select that instead of Safe Mode to do a factory reset. That is why you couldnt find the option. ;)

I guess that explains that- I obviously know just enough to be dangerous, HE , He. - OK will attempt to do that when I get home. So f8 while booting , but do not go into "safe mode", instead choose "repair my PC" then choose "factory settings" . I assume he l will lose all games, data, etc. correct? I htink he will be Ok with this- maybe he learned his lesson. He was not paying attention= never noticed Trend was "broken" , 3 messages flagged in windows security, etc. - before he brought it to me.

Yes you will lose everything. It will take it to out of box state. If memory serves the place to find the factory restore will be in the Asus Recovery which should be the last option once the Repair my PC option is chosen.

There is never a way to know what happened. There is only a way to fix what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom