which android phone to buy? why? have att

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
I was going to ask android vs. iphone, but I read Alex's post here:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f64/a...lling-smartphone-platform-241659/#post1884501

and the process to put an android web app vs. iphone web app in the market place...

well, I'm going to get an android phone.
so which one?

I watched the videos on the HTC inspire --- i'm a little amazed a phone can do all that :)

I currently have a 2.5 year old Black Jack II --- its getting old!!!

so phones that can do ALL these cool things, I've not really been uptodate on all the features, etc. they can do.

wife has iphone and son has ipod touch --- so i've played around with them a little.

anyway, wanted to get your opinions on WHY one android phone over another (i'm guessing i'm going to stay with ATT --- been with them since 1995 :) )

thanks

Well for AT&T you have a great selection. I have personally used the Samsung Captivate and now have the Motorola Atrix. If you looking for just stock and not rooting and ROMS then flat out the Atrix has the Captivate beat. Having the Dual Core Tegra CPU and 1GB of RAM with the ability to get 48GB of storage is a major plus for the phone.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f149/allow-app-installs-unknown-sources-244746/

Learning how to use Sideload Wonder Machine is also a great plus. It will allow you to install apps from places like Amazon and their AppStore for Android on your phone since AT&T has unknown sources locked down.

The only downfall I can say of the Atrix, MotoBlur. That is the default User Interface. I just dont like it. But with the ability to get things like Launcher Pro, ADWLaucher (or the EX if you pay for it) and the options they allow makes it that much better. I personally use ADW and have about 10 themes for that installed. I switch them up every week or so and it makes using the phone that much more fun. I have tried Launcher Pro and it is also good. But I have not messed with it much compared to ADW.

As far as the Captivate goes it is a great phone. I loved it and only got rid of it cause of the specs of the Atrix. Being a geek I just couldnt pass up the Dual Core and GB of RAM. My wife has the phone and even being on 2.1 Eclair the phone is still very solid. The Atrix is on 2.2 Froyo which supports Flash by default. Eclair does not. but with the Captivate you have many more options. Like being able to Root it and gain Super User control. You also have the ability to install custom ROMS to it and give yourself newer version of Android if you so choose.

A site I like to visit and read is Android Central. They have forums for just about every and any Android Device.

AT&T Captivate - Android Forums
Motorola Atrix - Android Forums

There are the 2 forums for the phones I am talking about. So you can see for yourself what others think of these devices. Personally having used both, I still would choose the Atrix. Despite the lack of full 4G the phone is solid and does what I want. I dont have the desire for Root or ROMS. I have the Apps I want and it operates them all at the same time with no slow down.

As far as the HTC Inspire, I have not used it. But I have seen it and it does look promising. A bit of a larger screen than the Atrix, but if the wife has the iPhone 4 with the dual cameras, you can use Qik and do the face talk. Sicne the Atrix has support for that. Not sure of the Inspire. For that device i would say check out Android Central and go to an AT&T store, not one in a walmart or anything like that, they dont have live demos. But go to a real AT&T store and check out the device in action. That will be the real comparison for you.

thanks... spent too much time reading the android forums :)

the reviews on HTC inspire (compared to atrix) are much 'happier and/or excited" :) Many came from iphone or captivate and are more than excited they made the switch.

now, EVERYONE complained about the battery life of inspire --- wow, i guess these people LIVE on the phone????

looks like i'm leaning that way... now to get att to give me the phone -grin- my wife took my upgrade to get the iphone.

PS. i thought this one line of a review was funny --- the poster said, "... i got my inspire 48 hours ago and have played with it for 47..." that cracked me up.

Best Buy currently has the Captivate for free with a new two year contract which is an excellent price compared to the Inspire and Atrix. Also Samsung officially updated the Captivate to Android 2.2 back in February so it is on the same version of Android as the Inspire and Atrix.

The Captivate also has a number of other advantages
-The best screen available in an Android phone
-A faster processor than the Inspire (but slower than the Atrix)
-An improved media player with better audio and video format support than other Android phones.

Be aware that the GPS on the Captivate can be hit or miss so if that is a priority for you you should probably look elsewhere.

If you don't happen to like the Captivate I would go with the Inspire. It's cheaper than the Atrix but thanks to it's superior software most people think it feels faster despite only having a single core processor. HTC also has a good track record when it comes to updating their phones so you should see an Android 2.3 update somewhere down the line.

well,i did a side by side comparison with inspire and atrix --- uhm...

interesting, they are very close phones from that point of view.
they each have a few good points that the other doesn't have.
It seems to come down to personal preference and exactly what benefits you want
over other features.

I'm planning on getting the Inspire. Like you said it has a lot of neat features. I just can't justify paying more for the Atrix.

The Atrix is coming down in price and for the hardware specs compared to the Inspire, I personally think it is worth it. But since you are just looking to get an Android device my best advice would be to wait for the Samsung Galaxy S II and get that beast.

uhm....

i'm for the first time since 96, considering leaving att.
they (or the system) dropped my grandfathered in data plan (which I've had for 2.5 years) and now they will not give it back...

i've got them in a lie (or in a box, if you will) their first reason on why they can't (or rather will not) change it back, I filled that reason full of holes. They know it. Their system (I'm pretty sure) made the mistake.

The whole issue came up when att told me, promised me something would happen and the COMPLETE opposite happened. It had to do with my wife upgrading her phone on my 'upgrade'.

att said NOTHING would change on my phone or my line, which it did.

the "case" which goes to whomever at att who 'decides' these things... is a joke.
they gave me a reason.
I specifically told them why they were wrong, incorrect and why the issue more than likely happened to begin with.

the 2nd reply from then, was just "no'.

to me, they admit they are wrong and ONLY replied 'no'.

so, while i'm only 1 small customer (I even on stock in att)... i will leave (however, i'm pretty sure the grass isn't any greener on the other side)... unless someone gives me a provider who "is different"

:)

any thoughts, feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom