What You've Just Bought!

Ordered an Echo Loop from Amazon. Not sure how useful it will be to have an Amazon Alexa device that you wear on your finger like a ring but guess I'm gonna find out. Right now they are selling them by invitation only.

Interesting how the order process works. First you order a Fit Kit for no charge. They send you a set of 4 different sized plastic mockups of the Echo Loop ring and you try them on to see which size fits. Once you get your size, you place the order for the actual Loop.

Personally I do not trust those things.
I just saw a tv commercial where they now have Alexa in the new Buick SUV's.
I can just imagine one day in the future...while leaving a party and after having one or two beers more than I should have, I say something to Alexa, She will detect my slurred speech and instantly inform me that I'm driving drunk and that she is contacting the police asap

Some people are more paranoid than others. I can imagine one day in the future that your car will safely drive you home regardless of whether you are capable of driving or not.

So... Had some stuff go haywire and decided it was upgrade time.

- Corsair Vengence rgb PRO DDR4 3600 (2x8GB)
- Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Elite (Absolutely NO ASRock in stock...)
- Corsair STRAFE rgb MK.2 with silent cherry switches
- Some fan cable extensions
- Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240

Some people are more paranoid than others. I can imagine one day in the future that your car will safely drive you home regardless of whether you are capable of driving or not.
Call me paranoid and that is o.k. by me because I can sleep at night knowing most of my business is of my own and not being shared by who knows who. (It has been proven that Amazon does hire real people to listen on Alexa devices....In order to "help" learn AI for voice)

Recently (just two weeks ago) I purchased an i5 10600k (because I already have a good cooler otherwise it would have been a Ryzen), MSI Z490 Edge Wifi and 16GB DDR4 4000MHz. First I wanted an Asrock mobo but the reviews hammered them hard. They cannot overclock well and give high heat. Weird since my last was Asrock and it (Az)rocked.

Right now on the way I have an external 4-bay HDD USB3/eSATA box. The previous mobo had 8 SATA ports and this one has 6 so I need to improvise. The same purchase also has 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD's for gaming to RAID (just to make them in one drive letter really).

Call me paranoid and that is o.k. by me because I can sleep at night knowing most of my business is of my own and not being shared by who knows who. (It has been proven that Amazon does hire real people to listen on Alexa devices....In order to "help" learn AI for voice)
Instead of listening to conspiracy theories and living in fear of technology, I choose to take control of it. If I had some secrets that I didn't want Alexa to overhear, I would use the mic off button on top to prevent it from listening. If I was really paranoid, I would unplug the power. The Echo Loop ring can be powered off, not to mention that it only listens when the attention button is pressed.

BTW, I don't sleep as well at night as I'd like but it doesn't stem from worrying about what Alexa may or may not have heard.

So... Had some stuff go haywire and decided it was upgrade time.

- Corsair Vengence rgb PRO DDR4 3600 (2x8GB)
- Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Elite (Absolutely NO ASRock in stock...)
- Corsair STRAFE rgb MK.2 with silent cherry switches
- Some fan cable extensions
- Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240
Yea cause Z390 is phased out. I would have sold the 8700k and got a 10 series, they run cooler than the 9 series and Z490 will support Rocket Lake.
Ha everybody says that till I walk over and hit the mute button. My SO's brother visited us for the first time yesterday (him, his wife and 2 boys, they're actually the first people on her side ever that's visited us on this side of town) and they were asking all kinds of questions. One of the first things they said is aren't you afraid of being listened in on? I said you both got phones in your pockets right? They said yea, so I said let me introduce you to party trick number two (the first being Alexa) and started rambling off recent computer parts and Dewalt tools around the house. Starting first with the Enthoo Pro 2 that just came out, then told them ok bring up your Facebook, Instagram, iFunny, whatever you got that you see sponsored ads when you swipe through things. Sure enough products I mentioned were on there. For proof of concept I had both of us do it too (they have Android phones, we have iPhones). I then explained to them adsense is listening in on any device that has a microphone and your browsing, shopping, food, dine in habits all being monitored. They were blown away. It got worse when I told them facial recognition and shopping/browsing habits are being done in places like Walmart, Target, etc. They live in a poorish area of Dallas so not used to all the kind of stuff we have so it spooked them a bit to learn about all this.
Recently (just two weeks ago) I purchased an i5 10600k (because I already have a good cooler otherwise it would have been a Ryzen), MSI Z490 Edge Wifi and 16GB DDR4 4000MHz. First I wanted an Asrock mobo but the reviews hammered them hard. They cannot overclock well and give high heat. Weird since my last was Asrock and it (Az)rocked.

Right now on the way I have an external 4-bay HDD USB3/eSATA box. The previous mobo had 8 SATA ports and this one has 6 so I need to improvise. The same purchase also has 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD's for gaming to RAID (just to make them in one drive letter really).
Reviews hammer ASRock boards because Asus and MSI pay them to. I immediately discredit any reviewer or "techtuber" that wants to say this about an ASRock board but praise an Asus board that has been known to overvolt stuff out of the box on both platforms. Jay proved this twice on his channel in recent memory. He also went through 3 Asus ITX boards for AMD but his first ASRock ITX board worked like it should. I laughed really hard.

Back
Top Bottom