What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

^ Random question Puddle, what's it like using only 4GB on your gaming rig. Am I right in saying you've had no issues with running out or anything?

But it ain't that simple. Windows will manage pretty well with 1, 2, 4GB memory. Very rarely will you get memory warnings.

Thats not to say increasing your amount of RAM won't bring considerable benefits.

^ Random question Puddle, what's it like using only 4GB on your gaming rig. Am I right in saying you've had no issues with running out or anything?

Actually I just forgot to update my sig, I've been on 8gb for quite a while now. BF3 was actually the reason I upgraded my ram and going from 4 to 8gb did make a noticeable difference in performance.

Cooler master silent pro hybrid 1300w PSU
78437A22-B7BF-4C44-97FC-1CDF7A4F651A-221-000000DD432117C9.jpg

But it ain't that simple. Windows will manage pretty well with 1, 2, 4GB memory. Very rarely will you get memory warnings.

Thats not to say increasing your amount of RAM won't bring considerable benefits.

Actually I just forgot to update my sig, I've been on 8gb for quite a while now. BF3 was actually the reason I upgraded my ram and going from 4 to 8gb did make a noticeable difference in performance.
I don't want to bust any balls here, but I bet I could drop down to 4GB without any performance decrease. Especially in BF3.

My finance application got approved, got a sweet deal on this. Only £119 a month for the top FR trim on a 15,000 mile per year plan for 24Months. Full warranty and everything.

No more spending endless amounts of money fixing my car which I don't like in the first place. Much happier spending set amount each month on a *hopefully* good car, where if anything goes wrong it will be sent straight to the dealer and fixed at no cost :D

Attachments

• tue0a1.jpg
    tue0a1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 10

I don't want to bust any balls here, but I bet I could drop down to 4GB without any performance decrease. Especially in BF3.

All I know is I saw an immediate improvement in performance and load times going from 4gb to 8gb. Sure with enough tweaking and stripping windows down to only the bare essentials running you might be able to get similar results sticking with 4gb but whats the point given the current prices on DDR3. Besides I ended up needing the extra ram for VM's anyways.

Keep in mind AOSP roms like CM10 are based on stock Android not the Samsung roms that ship with the phone so S-Pen support will be limited at best and you won't get any of the extras that come with Touchwiz like split screen multitasking.

I've kept my SGS3 stock because the default rom does everything I need but if I was on the Note I would go for a Touchwiz rom based on the latest international update for the phone to get split screen multitasking (assuming at&t hasn't already pushed out the update for it) Note that you still need to get a rom made for your specific model of the Note though.

Stock is good, but I don't really use all the S Pen fancy app stuff, I just find it's easier to use for everything in general, as opposed to my fingers lol.

As far as ROMs go I've found that the custom tweaked versions of the ROM that ships with your phone are the best. As much as I'd like to recommend CM it just isn't tailored to your phone. So just search on XDA for a ROM that is tweaked but based on the stock ROM in the forum for your phone.

Apps:

AndChat
Any.DO~
Astrid Tasks~
doubleTwist
GTasks~
Key Ring
Last.fm
Mass Text Personalizer*
Mint.com
My Tracks
Pandora
Root Explorer
Shopper
Simple Notepad
SwiftKey
Talk
TED
Tiny Flashlight
Wolfram Alpha

~ means I haven't decided which of these I like the best yet, and * means it sucks but it's the best one I've found for its purpose so far (if you know of a better one PLEASE let me know)

All I know is I saw an immediate improvement in performance and load times going from 4gb to 8gb. Sure with enough tweaking and stripping windows down to only the bare essentials running you might be able to get similar results sticking with 4gb but whats the point given the current prices on DDR3. Besides I ended up needing the extra ram for VM's anyways.
The only thing I do is disable services in which over half of them you need to disable for SSD performance/longevity anyways. I just don't believe upgrading RAM would increase actual FPS or actual loading times considering the game isn't storing itself in RAM. To each their own, but I do agree anybody with a modern rig should have 8GB anyways due to prices being ridiculous cheap.

Back
Top Bottom