What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

I just got another SSD yesterday....an Intel 530 model 240 gb for $128. I could've gotten an OZC or a Crucial 240 gb for $109. but I'm cautious about their reliability.
The new OCZ's from Toshiba have not been around very long and they're not the fastest either. They use some kind of compression during write which helps storage but I'm not one to jump into the new stuff, I'll have to cover my backside when I buy drives for someone else

Kingston's HyperX has the same thing that can be enabled - so far it's one of the few still going in the SSD Endurance test that's been going on from The Tech Report: The SSD Endurance Experiment: Two freaking petabytes - The Tech Report - Page 1

Crucial SSDs are actually very reliable. Own one myself. Their only problem before the 550s were they had seriously bad write speeds but after owning an M4 I noticed that's pretty underrated by a half. At least in my case anyways. I just don't recommend them because Samsung EVOs are usually always in the same price bracket and you can never go wrong with those.

Just bought Louis CK's new standup from his site, Live At The Comedy Store.

figure i hop onto this thread because i've been here a while now... just lurking...

Anyway, just bought M-M hdmi/dvi cable because i forgot mine at home (am at college)

I just got another SSD yesterday....an Intel 530 model 240 gb for $128. I could've gotten an OZC or a Crucial 240 gb for $109. but I'm cautious about their reliability.
The new OCZ's from Toshiba have not been around very long and they're not the fastest either. They use some kind of compression during write which helps storage but I'm not one to jump into the new stuff, I'll have to cover my backside when I buy drives for someone else

pssst... Intel and Crucial(micron) have a joint venture that produce their flash memory chips that is used in both of their SSDs.
roughly half of the chips goes to intel, half of it goes to crucial. when not taking the controller into account, crucial is every bit as good as intel.

Toshiba's toggle NAND is actually considered to be superior at some point. So now that OCZ uses Toshiba NAND its a really good deal.

pssst... Intel and Crucial(micron) have a joint venture that produce their flash memory chips that is used in both of their SSDs.
roughly half of the chips goes to intel, half of it goes to crucial. when not taking the controller into account, crucial is every bit as good as intel.

Toshiba's toggle NAND is actually considered to be superior at some point. So now that OCZ uses Toshiba NAND its a really good deal.

I'm not disputing which is better, in fact the Intel 530 is not the fastest drive compared to the Crucial drive, but the Intel drive does provide a much better warranty and software about as good as Samsung's software for their drive. The Crucial drive is all you get...just the drive.

I have read really good reports about the new OCZ drive from Toshiba, but like I stated it is newer to the market so I'll have to wait that one out. I think time is a better predictor of reliability (imho)

Think we're all waiting to see what Toshiba has done with OCZ. Then again, I'm already tired of the same boring SSDs. I want more M.2 to roll out.

M.2 will break the sata III bottle neck but there's not a lot of effort to push it to the consumer market by the manufactures

There is, but I think certain key companies are waiting for mainstream NVMe support on boards first before releasing the flood gates on M.2 drives. We only have 2 platforms with it, and so far only MSI boards fully support NVMe booting. There would be chaos if every SSD manufacturer started releasing NVMe M.2 drives that people couldn't boot from on non-MSI boards. And there isn't much of a reason to push SATA controller based M.2 as the PCI-E advantage is lost.

Thinking about purchasing a joystick and start playing Elite Dangerous or something else with flying ( never got around to doing it in BF4) - just bored waiting for Witcher 3 , etc. - and it looks like I have to go back for additional Chemo - so learning how to fly properly might be a great distraction.

Have heard this is a good start - dont think I am willing to put out $200 for a "real" setup:

Amazon.com: Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick: Video Games

Back
Top Bottom