What would you charge? (computer repair related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
So I was thinking, I have my evenings off... I work all day as a computer technician for a school district, however I wouldn't mind a couple extra bucks during the week. I was thinking about going old school and putting up a couple signs in some hot-spot areas, such as particular grocery stores that get a lot of attention. Most of them have bulletin boards for such things, selling cars and offering services of some sort.

I'd advertise it for computer repairs, upgrades, etc. Anything to do with home networking, I think I know enough about to tackle... and if not, I'm a **** good googler. :)

But, what do I charge? I was thinking about making it easy and just doing 40 bucks flat charge... regardless of how much time I spend fixing the issue at hand. I spend a lot of my time at work fixing computers, so I can troubleshoot them relatively quick... So I was thinking 40 bucks flat rate regardless of time might be a good idea.

It at least ensures people they'll be spending 40 bucks for my services and nothing more/less, so they know that for that price (with the exception of part costs if a part blows) that that's what it'll take to get their computer running.

Granted, for those who require 5 minute jobs it may be a stickler, but for those who require much more attention - a steal.

I think it's a good base start, a way to keep things simple... but I also don't want to live in this fantasy world of believing everything that goes on in my head is the answer to society. What do you guys think? Any opinions?

Oh - and if I needed to order parts, I would order them myself and just charge the client the same price I paid for them. So if it costs 40 bucks for a new power supply, they pay me 80 and it's installed and done. Make sense?

Thoughts?

It can be tough figuring out a price list, I charge £50 for a OS reinstall without backing up anything £70 if i have to ghost it first. I do RAM upgrades for £20 WIFI installations for £50....

It's down to what you think people can afford, fortunately I target business only, this gives me huge lea way in what i can charge they want fast quick an above all GOOD work, I do a few jobs for people who get my number in a round about way I charge them what i feel is reasonable for my time spent working on the job, if it's a quick job that i am not making much on like £10 - £20 I keep it off the books .

Lets see.... what do I charge for my services.....

ON SITE
It's if SOHO related, it $80 + GST per hour on site. First hour in chargable. It's half hour blocks after that.
Business on the other hand I charge $120_GST per hour onsite. First hour in chargable. It's half hour blocks after that. However some of the local business (within in walking distance) i only charge $40 + GST 15 minute blocks.

If it's a big job which can be carryied out inhouse, then I will take it back to the office where I will charge my at a fix rate.
Eg. Installing Windows 1 hour.
Back up and restore data. 1 to 2 hours.

IN HOUSE
Normally $80+GST per hour. However i do change a quotation fee (minium charge) to look at the computer. If it's hardware related, it $40+GST with covers the first 30 minutes. If it's software related, i normally charge the first hour ($80+GST) as normally with problems where i suspect a virus, windows is corrupt and BSODs, I really do have to do a lot more work into diagnose the problem.
The last thing I want to do spend an hour or so re-installiing windows only to find out that the client has desided that it's not work spending any more time/money to fix the computer.
Again, I will cap things down to set rates when it comes down to working on a computer inhouse.
Eg. Backing up data, In-installing windows, Restoring data i will charge 2-3 hours labor. However the amount of work that is carried out is a lot more.

Now for all you kids out there that think that my prices are too high, you try running a business some time.
I have a rent to pay on a shop. I have have a car to keep on the road. I do have public liability insurance to pay. And I do have advertising expenses and over heads to maintain.

It down to what you think people can afford,
It some thing that I look at too. Like if I am going to to a well off part of town, then I will charge the $120-GST rates as they can afford it.
However if is's some uni-student on pensioner, then I will lower my rates.
However it also comes down to the type of work they want me to do along with the level of expertise.

True, I normaly one do bussness work so i charge £40 a hour to them but if it's some one who has goten my number from a friend or ask me when i am in there place of work I figure out how much they can afford an then work somthing out for them price wise.

One thing I don't do is charge a callout fee or charge for estimates on repars but i do charge for a estmate when it's a wired network install due to the ammount of time it takes.

One thing I don't do is charge a callout fee or charge for estimates on repars but i do charge for a estmate when it's a wired network install due to the ammount of time it takes.

If I got to do a CCTV site evaluation, I normally charge a $200 quotation fee which gets credited. I really do not like it when I give some one a CCTV quote, and then they give my quote over to some one else that will do the same job or a fraction of the price.
Last time some one did to that to me, about 3 months later they call me back as my competitor messed up the job. In the end, it cost them more.

That hasn't happened to me yet but then again I am the cheapest guy in my area an for the most part get the work done faster.

Do you do much CCTV work? I have built systems for monitoring cameras but never installed a CCTV system an they used this weird COAX card that you link to the reset switch on the mobo so if there was a problem with the card the PC would restart it's self. Any idea who makes them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom