What gets banned exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
4,228,250,625 theoretical number of unique IP addresses.

What are the chances that more than 1 person is going to be within a 255 digit subnet?

Chances=1 out of 16,581,375

Nubius said:
Believe the word you're looking for is 'touche'

Yes, you are correct. However, without the accents, most will prounounce that word as "Toosh" so if I seperated them like that, it clears it up.

uzi9mm said:
4,228,250,625 theoretical number of unique IP addresses.

What are the chances that more than 1 person is going to be within a 255 digit subnet?

Chances=1 out of 16,581,375

Their is another user here in the same subnet as me :) And we didnt know eachother before he joined.

Yeah

For Toronto / Hamilton it's 69.157.XXX.XXX most of the time, you can change the third set of digits. However he was in the same subnet.

DCHP server did not release your IP, same thing goes for LAN's
The hell are you talking about?

I just said my ISP gives me a new IP sporadically and you put this comment?

However, without the accents, most will prounounce that word as "Toosh"
then chances are those people won't know what the word is anyway

Nubius said:
The hell are you talking about?

I just said my ISP gives me a new IP sporadically and you put this comment?

then chances are those people won't know what the word is anyway

Oh, I misread you

Sometimes the ISP will keep your mac adress assigned to an IP, even if your offline so nobody else can use it, for up to a few days.

I dont know why an ISP would randomly change your IP however.

all that is about to be changed with IPv6.. apparently everyone's ganna get static ip(i have no experience with IP, they are still a fuzzy topic..)..

to answer the question why not many people who gets banned comes back.. first, you don't know if they did.. second, they usually don't care enough to come back..

uzi9mm said:

If this is your question, this answer

uzi9mm said:
Chances=1 out of 16,581,375 [/B]

is wrong.

The question you answered was "what is the probability that a given person is within a given subnet - if completely random?"

To answer your original question, you need to know how many people are on the "network". Assuming a 16-bit network address, 8-bit subnet, and 8-bit host address:

If there are more than 256 people on the same network, which is clearly the case on a University for example, then some of them "will" have to share the same subnet. Easy to see right?..

Of course you can do a involved calculation if needed be. But why bother.. Most networks have over 256 users in them. Then it is guaranteed (probability 1) than some of them will share the same subnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom