VPN and internet security question

travadinho

Beta member
Hi all, I'm new to the site and I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I have a quick question about using a VPN for network security (privacy to be exact). My roomie made a comment that makes me think he has been or is monitoring my internet activities. I've read up a little on how one may be able to monitor internet activity via our router logging internet activity and other forums have suggested 1) getting my own router or 2) logging into a VPN as a counter measure. Here is my question. If I use my university's VPN from home, will that (help) prevent others from monitoring my internet activities, such as the emails I send or my passwords to bank accounts etc.?

No it wont. Because you still have to go through your home router to get out to the world to get to that VPN. So he will still be able to track you. Get your own Router to connect to the VPN for more privacy.

No it wont. Because you still have to go through your home router to get out to the world to get to that VPN. So he will still be able to track you. Get your own Router to connect to the VPN for more privacy.

If it's a VPN then the connection should be encrypted right from the user's system, surely? Otherwise the whole idea of a VPN would be pointless.

Possibly. I could be wrong on that aspect, but even going out from the VPN it would use the ISP IP Address. So there would still be a way to track them down. There is no way to hide, remove or trick the ISP IP Address that goes out to the world. So even if they are behind a VPN, that still goes out to the world.

Possibly. I could be wrong on that aspect, but even going out from the VPN it would use the ISP IP Address. So there would still be a way to track them down. There is no way to hide, remove or trick the ISP IP Address that goes out to the world. So even if they are behind a VPN, that still goes out to the world.
That's true, but the OP's issue is that their roommate may be spying on their connection. Even if you could see the destination of packets the privacy issue would be solved since the connection is encrypted.

That depends. If they get a free VPN, then there is logs that are kept and can be used against him. He would have to spend money to get a decent VPN that doesnt keep logs, the amount of money spent would be better spent on their own router. Why spend $40 for a VPN connection for a year to obtain privacy when you can spend that on your own router and have the same results and have hardware you can take with you.

If they get a free VPN, then there is logs that are kept and can be used against him.
That would only matter if his roommate were able to access the servers on which those logs are stored, which unless he works for the VPN service or data center, would require hacking and make this a whole other ballgame.

That would only matter if his roommate were able to access the servers on which those logs are stored, which unless he works for the VPN service or data center, would require hacking and make this a whole other ballgame.

Not really. I dont have to work for the VPN Service or data center and I bet you I could get records. I can prove that the ISP Connection is mine and that I have a suspicion that the VPN is being used for illegal matters, most free VPN's dont allow for that. Guess what I would have in my possession within an hour?

There is more than 1 way to get information that doesnt require hacking.

Back
Top Bottom