Vista LAN/Cable modem Connection Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we have narrowed it down to Vista. So my suggestion would be to try a restore point as far back as you can get. Or to backup and reinstall. Sorry.

I have already done a system restore and that didnt fix the issue. I did an ipconfig/all on the laptop and the desktop and the only real difference i saw was that the desktop didnt have a DNS server. What would that mean? Could that be the problem?

Do you have the desktop setup for Static IP or something?

My first suggestion would be to get yourself a broadband router to plug into the modem. Then all of the computers either plug into the router, or connect wirelessly (provided the router & clients support wireless).... Or, unless you have a router & modem combo box....

Anyways, you mentioned that when you do IPCONFIG, all the info is the same? What IP Address is the Vista x64 machine getting? Is it a 169.154.x.x IP address, or the correct IP address from the ISP?

As Mak had asked earlier, is the driver for the NIC confirmed to be for vista 64 BIT?

the ip address on the vista machine is 169.254.xxx.xxx
when i try to connect my router to the modem, the internet light doesnt come on. also, i dont have wireless on my desktop.

Yeah, if you have that 169.254.x.x address, it means that you aren't able to connect to a DHCP host. Windows automatically assigns an address in the 169.254.x.x range. If you don't know if it is set for Static or not, then it is Dynamic.... you would know 100% if it is static or not.

Again, have you made ABSOLUTLY SURE that the drivers you have installed for that NIC are COMPATIBLE with a 64 bit operating system? Note that a 32bit driver is generally NOT (have to say generally not, because my experience with XP 64 bit, LOTS of my stuff wasn't supported with 64 bit drivers, but ALL of it worked on XP 32 bit....) going to work with a 64 bit OS.

I would suggest trying to re-install the drivers (certified 64 bit OS drivers), or perhaps try another NIC if you have a spare PCI NIC (64 bit compatible of course).

In another note.... When you connect to the internet, what is the process by which you do that? It sounds like you don't have yours set up to be an 'always on' connection..... Do you have a special application you have to start on the computer to connect, or what? You should be able to connect the router's WAN port to the modem, and set the router up so that it is 'always on'..... then all you have to do is start up the computer & web browser...

i dont have to open up any special application to connect so im guessing it is always on. how would i go about reinstalling the drivers without an internet connection on that computer? oh, and btw my other desktop that runs xp cannot connect to the internet also. Only the laptop that runs xp can. Its weird bc the laptop is the biggest piece of junk that i own, lol.

Ok, before we get into the setup with the router...... let me ask about the history on this.... Have the Vista & XP machines EVER worked with this router before? When you are trying these, are you connecting them all to the modem the SAME way, with the SAME RJ-45 cable?

If you have an additional cable, plug in your router's power plug (dont connect to modem, just let it sit there).... Take the Vista & XP machines that can't get online, and connect them BOTH to the router.... from each machine, open the command prompt, and type IPCONFIG. note the IP addresses you get here, and try to ping from one host to another.

The vista pc is brand new and i built it 3 weeks ago. It worked fine on the internet until 4 days ago when it randomly disconnected from the internet and i havent been able to get back on. I use the same cables and connect to the modem the same way.
When i did ipconfig on the xp pc it doesnt give me any ip address at all. The only ip information it gives is under Windows IP Configuration it has IP Routing Enabled (no). The vista pc gives an IPv4 Address of 192.168.2.2.
As for pinging from one host to another, im not sure how to do that (sorry, im completely new to networking....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom