Upcoming HD 5830 and HD 5890

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin Man

muffin enthusiast
news on HD 5830
AMD to launch Radeon HD 5830 card on February 5? - TechSpot News
Fudzilla

AMD has had the DirectX 11 graphics market all to itself for several months now but it was only recently that the availability of its cards started to improve. With those problems sorted out, and the recent release of a sub-$100 Radeon HD 5670 model, the company has covered almost every possible segment before Nvidia is even out with their first DX11-compatible product. That's a nice position to be in. However, there's still a large void between the $150 Radeon HD 5770 and $300 Radeon HD 5850 waiting to be filled.

According to several reports from NordicHardware and Fudzilla, AMD may soon fill that gap with an as-of-yet-unannounced Radeon HD 5830 graphics card. No information is available in the way of specs other than the fact that it will carry GDDR5 memory and is expected to perform similarly to the older Radeon
HD 4890. Two possible price points have been mentioned as well: $199 to match the aforementioned 4890, or $239, which frankly doesn't sound very attractive as it falls a bit north of the mid-point between the Radeon HD 5770 and 5850.

Fudzilla claims AMD has set a February 5 launch date. In addition, the company is reportedly readying a new and improved version of its "Cypress" Radeon HD 5870 graphics processor for the launch of Nvidia's GF100.

slightly older news on possible HD 5890
Ati Radeon HD 5890 - Rumors about possible HD 5800 update - Ati, Radeon.HD 5890, Graphics Card - PC Games Hardware
Silicon Madness: Radeon HD 5890 Speculation Builds Up

Although AMD's Ati Radeon HD 5870 is still the fastest single GPU graphics card the manufacturer is said to be working on a faster model already: the Radeon HD 5890. With this device AMD probably doesn't only want to show the actual capabilities of the chip, but also wants to spoil Nvidia's plans for the launch of the Fermi Geforce graphics cards which is rumored to come in January.

The last time AMD also introduced a chip revision and the HD 4890 was running at noticeably higher frequencies and even cracked the 1 GHz limit in overclocked versions. Observant PC Games Hardware readers know from the launch review of the HD 5870 that the board is already prepared for a bigger power supply - the default layout has two free braze points that could be used to upgrade one of the 6-pin power connectors to an 8-pin version. In addition the HD 5870 models seem to have big overclocking capabilities and reach between 900 and 950 MHz on average. 1.38 GHz on liquid nitrogen are quite impressive, too, even when the card used for this record died when the overclocker tried to force it to 1.4 GHz.

its about time they began to fill that 5770-5850 gap. but i think the 5890 will be coming out later to compete with w/e nvidia releases.

Exactly...and with your musashi you can just Oc like you probably already are thinking. I was looking in to buying an aftermarket cooler for my 5870 but I haven't decided on one yet.

I'm stuck at 900 for the core right now, haven't figured out how to flash the BIOS with something that works with Win7 yet.

It's the limit in the BIOS (which is the limit in CCC too). I'm using Afterburner now, but since the block is in the BIOS anything over 900 is set back to 900.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom