two data jacks one standard cat 5 cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendo007

Baseband Member
I have a small emergency. i have a cube in part of my office that has lost data connectivity. i have checked the obvious stuff, network card, settings, phyical data connection on both ends. I can not seem to fix it. i plan on dropping another cable this weekend to take care of it. in the meantime can you use two pairs from standard cat 5 and make a data jack? i know a standard phone just uses a pair. so i have run four phones off one drop in the past. can this be done with data? if so what pairs are not used in your standard wiring scheme.

thanks
J

I would not recommend it. it could be done but depending on cable length and whats traveling accrossed it would make my final decision. So you have switched out patch cables, done a ping and loopbacked the nic? If all that stuff is fine I would test the cable with a wiremap tester. I am betting its a bad patch panel port. GO WKU!

Oh btw if you do it use pins 4,5,7,8

Well, the green and orange pairs are the two that are used. So you could use say the brown pair on pins 1&2 and the blue pair on pins 3&6.

If you have a spare switch/hub laying around, I would simply tap off a neighboring cube. This would IMO be much easier.

I would check the patch panel, especially if everything worked fine until now. I've seen where a clumsy telco tech went in to work on one line and knock others off because he was in a hurry.
Also depending on where the line terminates (hub, router), have you switched to a known working port and tested connectivity that way???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom