Tiny KDE Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDE Tech

Baseband Member
My wife has a tiny pink ASUS laptop with KDE installed. The little outfit has a 4GB SSD. So how did they cram KDE linux on a 4GB drive with room to spare? What is the smallest linux install with a GUI?

KDE is a gui and not a full fledged distro. And the smallest install I think is DSL I have it on a 128mb flash drive and I have room to spare.

Oh I wasn't confused about the distribution. As I said, it came with the K Desktop Enviro. I have Kubuntu on this machine running a dual boot, but the distribution was full CD and then the OS wanted 15 or 20 GB. Her package is Deb but it just amazed me how small the SSD was and that's all she needs she keeps her files on a USB 4GB stick. She is a moderate gamer and a big internet surfer. It came with a built in camera and wifi. I ran her a LAN cable downstairs to her desk if she can't find an open signal. I will look into those other distributions. Less than 128 MB, it kind of takes you back to the old days of DOS when all you needed was a 360KB boot disk.

Sorry, but I don't understand what's your problem. You need a graphical interface to configure the lan?

Sorry, but I don't understand what's your problem. You need a graphical interface to configure the lan?

Sorry for the confusion. No problems, just amazed how small the install is on her notebook. Some users claim to be running XP on the same model but I can't see how with only a 4 GB drive. We use a router to get out on the internet so her PC and my PC will never see each other. It's not like I am itching to start file sharing with her laptop.

Lastly, if anyone is in the market for a cheap laptop, they sell them now at Target stores in the US and online for about $300 and up. They are called ASUS EEE PC and no I don't sell them. I personally prefer my desktop here in the bedroom and she likes the mobility the laptop gives her.

Windows XP only takes up 1GB of space after install. If that. So the claims are easy to justify when you realize that XP doesnt need the same space as Vista. I have seen XP installs that take up less than 512MB of space. So a 4GB Drive is more than sufficent.

Sorry for the confusion. No problems, just amazed how small the install is on her notebook. Some users claim to be running XP on the same model but I can't see how with only a 4 GB drive. We use a router to get out on the internet so her PC and my PC will never see each other. It's not like I am itching to start file sharing with her laptop.

Lastly, if anyone is in the market for a cheap laptop, they sell them now at Target stores in the US and online for about $300 and up. They are called ASUS EEE PC and no I don't sell them. I personally prefer my desktop here in the bedroom and she likes the mobility the laptop gives her.

We know about the EEEpc, it was the first of a new breed of laptop known as the netbook, they came out a year or two ago and sold like hotcakes. From the sounds of it you have the 701 since you said you had a 4gig ssd, the newer 1000 series are much more powerful, have a longer battery life and have greater storage. Asus isn't the only netbook maker, just about everyone short of Apple has jumped on the bandwagon and has a model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom