Thinking of a career in Cyber Security

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hi everyone,

So I have been trying to spend the last 6 or 7 months trying to research into different IT careers. To give a very quick background, I graduated college in May 2011 with degrees in Business Management and Marketing. I have looked at a variety of different jobs since then and nothing every really appealed to me. I currently work for an insurance company doing data entry - the company is great and my boss is fantastic but it's just not work I can see myself doing as a career, so I began thinking about things I enjoyed doing and I have always enjoyed working with my computer (or other people's computers.) So I began looking into different IT career paths and cyber security has started to work its way to the top of the list. I have been doing a lot of researching online but I would really love to hear from people involved in this field to get a sense of what the job is like in a day to day sense before I start committing a lot of time and money towards classes and other education. I know that jobs are different depending on who your work for and such, but even if I could just get a general idea or a "day in the life of..." it would be really helpful! (It is hard to get an idea of what a job is like just by reading a job listing online or in the paper).

I really appreciate any guidance, information, or suggestions you have to offer - I am all ears!

I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend!

Wow! There are a ton of great resources in there! Thanks! I've bookmarked that site and have been going back to it every day!

I'd also love to hear from people who work in cyber security as well, just to get an idea of what the job is like from someone who works in the field. I know there is some information like that in the link above, but is there anyone on this forum who works in cyber security? I'd love to hear from you as well!

Thanks!!

I know, but then I realized that this was probably a better category to put this topic under. I must have forgotten to delete the other one - sorry.

I know, but then I realized that this was probably a better category to put this topic under. I must have forgotten to delete the other one - sorry.

Edit: Sorry for the double post as well (not my night tonight I guess)

Back
Top Bottom