They really need to replace CD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 16, and floppies are juuust before my time. I remember using them in primary school, which used them because primary schools didn't get what you could call vast funding for ICT/IT, and so asked for them second-hand off parents.

Im only 22 and ive used both the 3.5" and 5.25" floppies, i remember using them in elementary and middle school. The 5.25" we used to run programs off of (mathblaster i think??) and the 3.5" to save files, such as word dcouments.

The first pc i ever used was an Apple II in elementary.

Well i've never seen or used one. CD's right from the word go back when i was 8 or 9 in primary school.

That's a shame, floppies where for there time great bit's of movable technology despite not having a huge data capacity they had enough for what they where intended to do and that was to store a file on removable media for sneaker net purposes. I still use them and I have a 5in floppy drive upstairs in a box and I have a very old one that I am not sure works for a bbc micro computer and a lot of disk's to go with them.

To be honest I think peoples needs for data storage on the move is some what over kill, I know people who have everything on a USB stick and i am talking from a copy of there holiday pic's right the way upto every text file they have wanted to save you don't need that much data on you at any one time. I have a 8gb flash drive on my key's now that has about 512mb of data on it and most of that is just junk admittedly I need to clean it out but I also have a 128mb stick right next to it that I keep a fully configured GUI based OS.

Oh and kiddies unless you have made a boot disk to play a game you haven't lived.

Sooo...why is thread still going anyway? We've established that the first floppy disks were actually floppy, that CDs are still used by many people (whether or not that's good or bad) and that a lot of people also use flash based media instead.

Perhaps we could start discussing whether Pluto is a planet next.

Nha portable data storage devices are much more interesting, besides we all know pluto is not a planet it's satellite is nearly as big as it's self.

I use DOS 3 on a 5.25" floppy when I use this beast of a computer.

oldputer5.jpg

oldputer3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom