Technologically inept people

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
I work with a bunch of people that have no clue how to use PC's except for basic email and stuff related to their jobs.

I'm the makeshift "IT Guy" at work. They know I'm good with PC stuff. When someones PC acts up, I hear my name and it's something stupid like, "Why can't I type over this text"?

Me: "Uh because it's a PDF scan of a document".

They kind of give me a :umm: look...

I can't get across to them that when you scan a paper with text on it, you are in essence scanning a picture of it and it's not a Word document where you can edit it. The I get the follow up question "Can you open this in Word then so we can edit it"...

We don't have word recognition software on our PC's at work, so the debate is pointless with them because they are convinced because it is text that they can edit it...

I just nod my head and walk away letting them attempt the impossible in futility chuckling to myself. The funny thing is I can make up words and they have no clue that I am making up words. If they say something isn't working, I'll make up something like "Your gig stick must be broken"... it seems to be good enough for them.

How about you guys? Do you work with these types?

Ahahahaha. That made me lol.

I don't work with these types, i live with them, my family. Well thats perhaps harsh, my dad is just as good if not better than me and my sister is fine unless there really is a technical problem like an error message or something. But the rest of my family, lol - they cant get there head around the button to lock screen rotation on my ipad :omg: I actually really quite enjoy fixing PC problems the majority of the time, so it tends not to bother me. I only get annoyed when theres a problem which is in my way and i cant fix it after hours of trying. This forum has made me bad though, i tend to just ask for help instead of bothering to try myself. It's made me quite lazy :p

How about you guys? Do you work with these types?

All the time. Thankfully with my current job, I am dealing with people that don't know any thing about computers. They know it, and they respect me for being able to fix up what ever problems they are having with out talking down to them. Hence one of the reason why I enjoy working out at the civil maintenance depots as appose to coming into head office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom