Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BitGuard

• BitDefender

• SAV 10

• Total voters
I too started out with ZA but it got so bloated I went with Comodo, the same as CarnageX. After I started using a router and with XP back then enabling their firewall I gave up on 3rd party firewalls altogether

If there is already a hacker in our system and we download the free version, will that be a problem? Do I need to buy the disc and install offline

We have someone hacking our system and need a better firewall. Someone who is supposedly a computer expert (not) said if we download the program the hacker will be able to bypass it and that we should buy it on disc.

You should firstly get a dedicated hardware firewall and not a software firewall (it sounds like you're a business/company?).

Then you should work on patching up your security and making sure there's no malware on any of your machines.

No, it's a home network. I have antivirus and antimalware and clear things out every day but they keep getting back in. I only have windows firewall tho. Will comodo do a better job?

How do you know that somebody is attacking your network/systems?

What AV do you have? What antimalware are you running?

How do you know that somebody is attacking your network/systems?

What AV do you have? What antimalware are you running?

Mcafee AV and Advanced System care by Iobit antimalware. It is someone who knows us, we think and has a personal problem with us. They have changed passwords, got into my husbands debit card, which the bank refunded, post as us on facebook and have sent me emails under a temporary email, showing me copies of private FB messages. We have contacted the police and FBI, but they pretty much have been no help.

Mcafee AV and Advanced System care by Iobit antimalware. It is someone who knows us, we think and has a personal problem with us. They have changed passwords, got into my husbands debit card, which the bank refunded, post as us on facebook and have sent me emails under a temporary email, showing me copies of private FB messages. We have contacted the police and FBI, but they pretty much have been no help.

Ditch the crap AV (yes, McAfee is bad). Get a free alternative such as Avast, Avira, or Bitdefender Free.

Drop the Advanced System Care as well and get Malwarebytes Antimalware (the free version is fine, no need to get the paid Pro version).

You'll want to do several things...

1) Download those programs, as well as HijackThis from sourceforge.
2) Go to IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup and make note of what your IP is (don't post it here...just write it down or something for reference later)
2) Install / update them on all systems on your network
3) POWER DOWN (i.e. unplug from the AC outlet) both your modem and router (if they're 2 separate devices) to completely disconnect from the internet - these will need to remain unplugged for possibly up to 24 hours so that you can get a new external IP
4) Open MBAM and run a Full scan on your systems. Delete anything it finds. Save the log file.
5) Run a scan with whichever AV you chose from above; remove anything it finds
6) Go to a completely different network / computer (an internet cafe, a friend's or family's house, something) and change ALL of your passwords to your accounts (Facebook, email, bank accounts, online shopping sites, etc...pretty much everything you log into). The point here is changing all account passwords from a known clean (i.e. non-infected) computer system / network.
7) Repeat the scans from 4 / 5 until they come back with no results.
8) Once the scans are complete and don't find anything anymore, plug your modem back into power and let it boot up (may take a few minutes).
9) Go to IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup again and check if your IP is different from step 2... if it is, great. If not, either unplug it again and wait, or contact your ISP about releasing a different IP as you believe you may be being targeted online by your IP address
10) Once you have a different public IP address, it may also be a good idea to change your router's SSID / wifi password. Make sure you're using WPA2 level of password encryption. Also, if your router has WPS enabled...DISABLE IT. You can do this from the router's web GUI.

Back
Top Bottom