Startup Problems in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

goblin_bee

Baseband Member
This morning, gave Vista the ok to install Service Pack One and left to run an errand. When I returned, I booted up the computer to find this screen:

1224081932.jpg

The system appears to scan through files as though scanning them, but when it reaches this file the process stops and this screen displays.

The first thing I did was to insert the Vista disk and run the startup repair a couple times, to no avail. For some reason, the disk also tells me that it can't find any system restore points; although I know I created on recently. Is there anything I can do? I've had this same problem once before but solved it via a restore point. I just recently reinstalled Vista a couple of weeks ago, it would be a major disappointment to have to do it all over again.

What can I do?

Are you running a custom case or prebuild? There are a few known issues with SP1 going onto prebuilds like Dell, HP, Gateway where the support site may have a work around.

You can also use the system restore feature while booted from the Vista dvd and going into the repair tools section for that instead. Some have repeatedly used the startup repair until seeing results after multiple attempts with that.

The page here may be some help showing how to work this out. How to use the Command Prompt in the Vista Windows Recovery Environment

Are you running a custom case or prebuild? There are a few known issues with SP1 going onto prebuilds like Dell, HP, Gateway where the support site may have a work around.

You can also use the system restore feature while booted from the Vista dvd and going into the repair tools section for that instead. Some have repeatedly used the startup repair until seeing results after multiple attempts with that.

The page here may be some help showing how to work this out. How to use the Command Prompt in the Vista Windows Recovery Environment

It's a custom case.

I went into the repair tools section on the dvd and that was where it told my I had no restore points. Is there another way to access system restore points?

Meanwhile I'll guess I'll just run startup repair continuously, couldn't hurt.

Found this:

Okay, after dealing with this *** for 3 hours, and using the many posts in this forum, I am back up and running with SP1 installed. I think I can summarize the process a little bit for the command prompt n00bs out there.
1) insert your windows vista install dvd and boot from it
2) get to the point where you are about to actually begin the installation
3) press shift f10 to bring up the command prompt window
4) run checkdisk using this command "chkdsk /f c:" (without the quotes of course)
5) it will flag one or more files as having problems, write down EXACTLY what the filenames are of those files
6) once checkdisk is finished, you have to go find those files and delete them, to do that you can use this command:
dir c:\ /s /b | find "myfilename" (replace myfilename with part of the file you are looking for)
7) when it finds the file, make note of it's full path and location, write it down if you need to
8) navigate to the directory that contains your file using the cd command, like this:
cd c:\program files\common files
9) delete the corrupted file using the del command: del filename.exe
10) go back to step 6 and find the other files that checkdisk marked as corrupted, keep repeating all the steps until all the *** filels are deleted
11) reboot and choose to boot normally, with luck, sp1 will go through the rest of its install properly this time and will replace all that dead files that you just deleted,

Good luck!
-vb
Via here: Black screen on reboot during install, !! 0xc0190036 !! 4068/72408 (cdosys.dll.mui) flashing onscreen : Windows Vista Service Packs/Windows Server 2008 Service Packs : Windows Vista IT Pro : Microsoft TechNet Forums

Otherwise it sounds like people are just trying Chkdsk's, or reformatting.

I ran into the check disk command with the repair switch added on as well. The last part on the onscreen error message points out one driver file in particular that needs to be replaced. The link earlier shows the list of commands available when at the console.

I've run chkdsk, but I'm not really sure which files it wants me to delete. There are a big group of deleted index entries, and then there's a big list of orphaned files that chkdsk slaims to have recovered. Is it these recovered files that I need to go and delete?

The "1mkrm1g.dll" file is the one being pointed at in the photo you posted at the top of the thread. It sounds too recent like from SP1 since no information is found on it.

Without any restore points you can't simply backclock the registry. If you can get up in safe mode you may be able to remove what the SP1 installer has already put on in order to see Windows running normal again.

The "1mkrm1g.dll" file is the one being pointed at in the photo you posted at the top of the thread. It sounds too recent like from SP1 since no information is found on it.

Without any restore points you can't simply backclock the registry. If you can get up in safe mode you may be able to remove what the SP1 installer has already put on in order to see Windows running normal again.

I tried. It won't boot in safe mode. What should I do?

i can still try to delete files with the command line, I just don't know I should delete.

Theoretically, if I knew what files to delete, I could boot some Linux OS from a disk and delete the files from there, right?

The crazy thing is that I had JUST made a restore point. I don't know why it's not showing up.

Since SP1 didn't finish installing the restore point that would be available is still more or less lost in limbo to some degree being a fresh point still in progress. With the installation of SP1 being hung up that also places the restore feature on hold. This is why the suggestion was made for trying to boot up in safe mode.

The thread at the other link mentioned several repeat attempts at using the startup repair tool to see if you eventually get any further that way. Another option before seeing a fresh copy of Windows installed since Vista no longer sees the repair install option is the inplace upgrade method found at one site. Repair Install For Vista - Vista Forums

It's kind of a last resort prior to a full reinstall depending on the type of disk you have there. Try the startup repair a few more times anyways.

go to uncle torrny to get a sp1 disc since it's too much trouble to slipstream it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom