Smoking and PCs....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always had my computers in my room and smoked. **** I smoke a pipe now! :)

Anyway i've read things about smoke damaging hard drives but i've not really experianced anything.. Across 6 hard drives i've used over about 12 years only 1 has failed and that didn't have any bad sectors that i would expect if smoke had gotten into it. I still have my first HDD, 1GB quantum fireball and it still works fine, saw a lot of use that did, main drive of my first 3 computers.

3 of us in our house smoke (a couple of things) constantaly while at our computers. My ash tray is ON my tower. We have never had a problem at all...

Think of this. Electronic music, techno, ambient etc etc. They all play in packed, smoke filled clubs with more machines than they have fingers. Most have at least one computer too. Sure, the smoke can't be helping their performance, but it's not [typically] destroying their machines at a significant rate either. Not to mention the clubs soundboards and all their EXPENSIVE equipment that's exposed to this atmosphere daily.

My computer's been around herb smoke often enough to mention.. no biggie, plus it's not even comparible to smoking a cigarette which is wayy more smoke. Herb dissapates quicker and is probably comparable to lighting a candle [research that and it's harmful effects! especially scented ones]. Plus typically more cigs are smoked then bowls so it's on a different level alltogether, just related in that it's still smoke.

Absinthe isn't too easy to come by here [America], plus illegal. My friend had it shipped from overseas which was not worth the risk. Plus it tasted like black licorice, blehhh. But it looked cool when you poured water in it.

**** Garra, I haven't seen that far into Bleach yet!! :mad: ;)

faek said:
Think of this. Electronic music, techno, ambient etc etc. They all play in packed, smoke filled clubs with more machines than they have fingers. Most have at least one computer too. Sure, the smoke can't be helping their performance, but it's not [typically] destroying their machines at a significant rate either. Not to mention the clubs soundboards and all their EXPENSIVE equipment that's exposed to this atmosphere daily.
However there equipment as been designed to put up with that sort of conditions.

Beside the smoke from a smoke machines is way different to a smoke from cigerettes

faek said:
**** Garra, I haven't seen that far into Bleach yet!! :mad: ;)
Tell me about it. :rolleyes:
He's had that sig going since that episode fan sub was released. And I am normally at least 10 episodes being the current release (Currently I am about an entire season behind on Bleach, but I can catch up really quickly)

ah but now you know what is going to happen, yet you don't know WHEN it's going to happen, so I'm simply building suspense

plus anyways when you have a consistent speed subber like DB that constantly has bleach out by every tuesday before midnight I'm one to download and watch it that same night

The reason being that your equipment may not be damage is because smoke rises and usually your computer towers is sitting below underneath you so not that much smoke get in it (unless your room is fogged up with smoke, then you have a health issue there). Usually anything sitting high is more affected like my printer or my speakers and monitor, cable modem, router. If you smoke and never had any failures, than youÂ’re not thinking long term. Just like smoking, itÂ’s not like lung cancer will appear the day after you smoke, itÂ’s a long term affect just like it does to the hardware.

gaara said:
I love how people who I have spent much time trying to help in the past decide that they're gonna come back and be a bunch of moronic twits.

You seemed a little overzealous to break a world record, yet here we are...

Get over yourself, Gaara.

Honestly dude, that makes no sense what so ever. I was a little overzeaslous to break a world record, yet here we are? HOw does that make sense? We are not talking about my ambitions, and that has no contrast to what I said to you. Being here, talking about Smoking around PC's, you bring up what my prior ambitions were a year ago? And then say here we are, like I am in this conversation because I gave up or utterly failed? Grow up. And how have you helped me in the past? You are trying to come off all high and mighty, and all insulting me. I didnt insult you, all I did was comment at how you wanted to try and get it out there that you smoke weed, which is exactly what you did. And how am I being a moronic twit? I'm not, shove it. Are you tryiong to sound all big and bad in that you helped me out in the past? If you are going on those grounds, lets see how many times I helped you in the past before you became this high and mighty moderator. It's a friggen online forum! This should in now way make your ego bigger, the fact that you are the law in a place in virtual reality where the only interaction you have with other people is typing something on a message board and HOPING that they will read it. You think you are some sort of cop, or some sort of authority figure that I should respect and bow to because you know some teenager stuff about computers? If you are going to sit there and tell me that "Thats the kind of attitude that dosent get you into a moderator position" then you are a tool. In all seriousness, the only reason I never was asked to get a position was because I didnt bend over and kiss the virtual *** of some of the highest posting members, even though they knew actually very little.

Anyway, my knowledge of how smoke damages electronics is from when I took a Radio 101 class at school, to be on the radio station. Not being able to smoke in the studio was not enforced strictly because smoking in a public place in Massachusetts is illegal, but it was that it damages the soudboards and other equipment. And they were not going by heresay, either. Boards in the past died, and it came to be known that the cause of it was due to cigarette smoke around it. The solution? Ban smoking in the studio, BEFORE the ordinance was even passed.

Contradictory to the entire tone of my above passage, I wil have to agree with anime Gaara, in that, you know that it will happen but you just dont know when. The suspense is killing you.

charles_scott said:
I wish I could get some really good Absinthe...

http://www.sebor-absinth.com

100% legal to import to the US, as long as it is for personal use. Just prepare to suck up to the $100 for a litre, price. And just know this:

Upon drinking Absinthe (these are my own words) you will never, repeat, NEVER, introduce anything so painful, so foul-tasting to your taste buds in your entire life. If you do get Absinthe, make sure you melt the sugar cube, I heard that works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom