Smoking and PCs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjmitch2

In Runtime
I found this and got a big laugh out of it, but its actually really ingenious.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cig-01.html

How many people out there smoke while in front of their PC?? I quit smoking 5 yrs ago, but I did smoke while surfing the internet or playing games. Some people claim that the smoke can harm some computer parts, don't think its ever been proven though, what do you think??

I used to smoke but not in the house, always outside. That would be a bad idea to smoke near your computer unless you have a lot of money to spend on new parts. Smoke has already been proven that it can damage hard drive and computer components. I had a friend who went through 3 printers in just 1 year because he smoke near his computer too much, I could already see that his computer hard drive was acting up.

Smoking by your computer creates ash and dust which settle in your pc (fans suck it in) and can create problems. All the dust is awful for your hard drive and your computer becomes very dirty inside which is bad for your fans. If you fans aren't working properly and get gunked up you'll have a noisier, hotter pc and that can be bad for parts also. Have you ever cleaned a pc from a house where people smoke by it? It's disgusting.

Iv'e been smoking next to my tower for years, yes it makes it dirtier, but I've never had a HW problem due to smoke. Of course I don't open the cd tray and exhale in it either...lol
I don't think it has much effect unless you NEVER clean, blow out or vacuum your computer. Computer hygene is important weither you smoke or not. :) Of course my keyboard usually looks like crap from stray ashes but it still works....lol

Its not a guarantee that your PC will die if you smoke near it, but it definately does increase the chance that something might stop working properly. If you insist on smoking near it, you can't go wrong to put some filters over your fans.

HD's are almost hermetically sealed, smoke wont do anything to them

the smoke does allow more dust to accumulate in the cooling fans and heatsinks though

Hdd have a breath hole so the pressure can change, I assume it will seep in through that some how.

I can't stand smoking though. Never even tried one, and don't like being around smokers.

That hole don't go to the platters surely, and I have taken several hard drives apart and never saw a single hole going into the area for platters... And I doubt pressure changes that much...

Trifid said:
Hdd have a breath hole so the pressure can change, I assume it will seep in through that some how.

I can't stand smoking though. Never even tried one, and don't like being around smokers.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom