Simple Diet and/or Exercise regimens

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomic tofu

Fully Optimized
Howdy ppl...

I am going to try to make this as plain, simple, no nonsense, no "my way or the highway" as I can for anyone here needing to get healthy or lose weight.

Now there is a difference, so that is why being healthy and losing weight are not one and the same. Same thing as being muscular doesn't necessarily equate to being healthy.

Your DIET should not be what you eat to lose weight, but what you eat. Akin to the diet of fish, mammals, etc. The diet of a gorilla is strictly vegetarian. Diets of chimpanzees and orangutans is mainly vegetation, along with small animals, including insects and monkeys, and perhaps birds and frogs :p

Human diets can consist of everything and odd concoctions of artificial creation, ie, twinkie.

---
Health:
Watch your carbs. Simple carbs...
There are 2 main reasons to watch carbs, they are an easy and plentiful source of extraneous calories and the simple carbs increase insulin, thereby elevating blood sugar levels.

Carbs are everywhere, in extreme abundance in the foods we eat.

Fruits, though a natural source of carbs, should still be consumed in moderation.

Eating whole foods - that is, eating foods that are in their natural state, unprocessed, or as little processed as possible.
EASY illustrative example - wheat, go grab a handful of wheat grass instead of wheat bread.
The above is merely an example and not something suggested ;)

The idea to eating a whole foods is that you force your body to do the work of processing and digesting, thereby requiring more calories just to consume the food. It also has a positive effect on the digestive system.

Meats - reducing red meat consumption across the board is simply, healthier. Reduce red meat or meat consumption, and up fish consumption.

Pertaining to the above and fish consumption - Omega 3 (which I'll avoid explaining)
Omega 3 can be obtained via flax seed/oil and spirulina.

And of course, keep your sodium intake in check.

That's a good basic I believe, without going over the top. And notice I am a vegan but don't try to convince to be one :D.

---
FIT - or Losing Weight

I will give you an example of my morning exercise for 03-11-08 and then go from there.
Today was a light day. My light day involves namely my day for working legs, because I am currently not wanting to add size to them.

- I do squats with no weights, just my body - 5-7 set, 15 reps
- Then power bar - 5 sets, 15 reps
- Then I do shrugs - 5 sets, 15-20 reps
- Then hanging leg raises - 5-7 sets, 10 reps <-- ab work new for me :D *see below

I did the above, 1 after the next and repeated about 6 times. That is my light day. I currently have no "off" day and use my light day as a break day.

Next day - Chest/shoulders
Pec dips - 5-7 sets, 15 reps
Flat Bench - 5 sets, 15 reps
Dumbbell press flat - 4 sets, 10-15 reps
Incline press - 5 sets, 15 reps
Military press - 5-7 sets, 15 reps
Rear delt row - 5 sets, 15-10 reps

Next day - Triceps/shrugs
Triceps dips - 5-7 sets, 15 reps
Close grip half presses - 5 sets, 15 reps
Skullcrushers - 4-5 sets, 10-12 reps
Overhead Triceps extensions - 5 sets, 15-10 reps
Shrugs - 5-6 sets, 15-20 reps

Next day - Back
Wide grip pull ups - 5-7 sets, 10-15 reps
Shoulder width pull ups - 5 sets, 12 reps
Bent over rows - 5-7 sets, 15 reps
Back Extensions - 5 sets, 12 reps

Next day - biceps/shrugs
Bar curls - 5-7 sets, 15-10 reps
Barbell curls (heavy weights) - 4-5 sets, 10-6 reps
Hammer curls - 5 sets, 10-8 reps
Shrugs - 5-6 sets, 15-20 reps
(sometimes I do dumbbell wrist curls, but not much :p)

then it repeats to the light day
-----

Now, here are the toss ups for you.
I don't do cardio. But nothing is wrong with it. However, running a lot can increase cortisol, which is not good. I give you this link to refer by:
Cortisol

Red meat - if you want to be a "manly" bodybuilder, eat lots of red meat while you train. It's not entirely healthy, but red meat increases your testosterone levels.

*I don't really do ab work and today was the start. I like the flat abs with etched look as opposed to the chunky blocky ab look. If you want strong abs, work your abs, but with proper training and "diet" your abs will show. I mainly do the exhale/squeeze techique. I have some pretty good intercostals and a nice flat profile. My preference.

My reps may seem high, but I am currently not really building, though my body may be building small amounts anyway to constantly strengthen key parts, especially in the multi joint exercises.

Water consumption - many people have been confused on how much water should be consumed. The estimate actually accounts for the water content in the food you eat. So you do not have to absolutely drink any given amount, but just drink what your body feels right, I would take:
Water: How much should you drink every day? - MayoClinic.com

I drink a lot of water, maybe a gallon or so a day.

---
Live Search: hoodia any effect on blood pressure?

you could also try hoodia, for any needing an appetite suprressant, but check to see what your doctor says. He may think it's totally bogus, but I've tried it and it does seem to work.

ALSO, maybe look into additional fiber supplements. I use psyllium for fiber and mix it into my protein drinks. Adds some bulk to help you fill up as well as good for the tract. Coming home at the end of the day, 1 scoop of protein and a teaspoon or so of psyllium and you won't be hungry all till bedtime.Psyllium seed husks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is only a suggestive guideline...and not instructions :D

EDIT: if you are able to, follow the 5-7 meals a day thing. That is, just to take what you consume in a day, and spread it across 5-7 sessions. This has a 2 prong effect too, it keeps your metabolism going constantly while also reducing the size of your stomach AND your waistline. This in result can also make it very easy for you to not feel hungry, as a drink of water can easily fill you up.

That's a lot of quality info. How long does your workout take? I don't think I would be able to find that much extra time every day. I am doing good (and have to get up early and stay up a little later to do it) with my two 10 minute sessions.

It's about 1.5 to 2 hours...for the big body parts which I do more of
about 1-1.5 hours for the arm days

any little bit helps, and if you can get in a 10 before your day starts, it'll help to keep your base a little jacked for a few hours. If you employ the ab thing I do, exhale and squeeze, you can do that intermittenly throughout the day, as I do ;)

added some edits to the op...psyllium husks

yeah, too bad you're working your chest and triceps on following days. AND! youre working your back and biceps on following days.

dont you know this is inhibiting muscle growth?

edit* and you're doing shoulders THEN traps? maybe you should reconsider your workout regimen.

My routine looks like:

Monday - Shoulder/Legs, Abs
Tuesday - Jog 2 miles in the morning, treadmill or any form of cardio in the late afternoon/night depending on how I feel.
Wednesday - Back/Biceps/Forearms
Thursday - Same as Tuesday
Friday - Chest/Triceps, Abs
Saturday - Same as Tuesday
Sunday - Full rest

My diet usually consist of a fruit, vegetable, and a protein in every meal. I only eat carbs in the morning, or before my workout. I also only drink water or milk.

MON: CHEST
TUES: BACK(sometimes i throw in forearms)
WED: LEGS (or off and switch to saturday)
THURS: SHOULDERS(inc traps)
FRI: ARMS (bicep, tricep)

cardio every day at least 20 min

2400 cal +- diet. eat 5x a day. whole foods only. no protein supplements.

MON: CHEST
TUES: BACK(sometimes i throw in forearms)
WED: LEGS (or off and switch to saturday)
THURS: SHOULDERS(inc traps)
FRI: ARMS (bicep, tricep)

cardio every day at least 20 min

2400 cal +- diet. eat 5x a day. whole foods only. no protein supplements.

You don't work on your abs?

Nope. Not yet anyway. I used to, but i stopped. Its basically because i still have some fat on my stomach which means if i start building my ab muscles it'll start pushing it out, causing me to look fatter than i already am.

this is not so much an issue anymore, as ive lost alot of belly fat in the past few months.

i probably will start doing abs, but more like a high intensity type work out. 30-50 reps at a time or something.

bobo :p
It's different if it was a building program, mine is more just exercise...if you want to give your routine, make sure to tell people what you are doing it for

that is why my reps are so high, you basically could train all the body parts every day if you just exercise light to maintain.

For example....BULK building, reps should be in the 6-8 range
etc :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom