Should I? or Shouldnt I?

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Messages
5,957
Location
United States
I havent posted a thread of what I should get in awhile. :p

I was on newegg and saw an 8800GT in stock for $114, and an retention bracket for $9 (to be used with my CM HSF), and maybe another 2GB of ram. Problem is that I dont know if I should get it.

I want to try the AMD AM3 CPUs along with the DDR3 ram, and money doesnt come easy for me, so it would either save for an new build, or get new parts that might be outdated pretty soon.

Problem that is holding me back is the XFX board, a lot of peoples board have already died, and theres not much selection for LGA775 boards out anymore. So if this boards dies, then I would need to get another SLI board, or have an extra 8800GT. If I get the board, then I wont be able to get the graphics because $200 is a lot to spend in a month.
 

rohan23

Fully Optimized
Messages
4,087
I don't really see the need for DDR3 RAM yet unless you're going to be hardcore overclocking, or benchmarking. For gaming purposes, another card would be really helpful to you. If you're running a 64-bit OS, go ahead with the RAM. I would go towards the card. Have you searched through ebay and microcenter for another card?
 

Remeniz

Fully Optimized
Messages
3,390
Location
England
I'm willing to try the new AM3 boards when they make a proper one.

I mean - DDR3 boards with 4 Memory slots??? :confused:

The board makers for Intel on the other hand have it right - 6 slots for DDR3.
 

LambOfGod

Fully Optimized
Messages
1,783
I'm willing to try the new AM3 boards when they make a proper one.

I mean - DDR3 boards with 4 Memory slots??? :confused:

The board makers for Intel on the other hand have it right - 6 slots for DDR3.
AM3 does not support triple channel, just dual channel DDR3, thats why




Teny, i would sell your 8800 GT and go for a more powerful single card solution..
 

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Messages
5,957
Location
United States
Im not going to build the AM3 board right away, most likely building one this fall or later.

Right now, my rig works fine for all my needs, but I want to future proof for a little longer or just wait and upgrade to a completely new build when I need to. As I said, money is hard for me to come buy, so its this way or the other way.

I would sell my 8800GT, but I couldnt find anybody interested in it, and when I do, they are usually low-balling me to the point where I dont think its worth selling. I dont trust online much either because of previous experiences.

Getting another single card is kind of pointless since the 8800GT is not that far behind, or the SLI beats it within the price range of $150 unless someone actually did buy my card.
 

worshipme

Golden Master
Messages
5,603
I havent posted a thread of what I should get in awhile. :p

I was on newegg and saw an 8800GT in stock for $114, and an retention bracket for $9 (to be used with my CM HSF), and maybe another 2GB of ram. Problem is that I dont know if I should get it.

I want to try the AMD AM3 CPUs along with the DDR3 ram, and money doesnt come easy for me, so it would either save for an new build, or get new parts that might be outdated pretty soon.

Problem that is holding me back is the XFX board, a lot of peoples board have already died, and theres not much selection for LGA775 boards out anymore. So if this boards dies, then I would need to get another SLI board, or have an extra 8800GT. If I get the board, then I wont be able to get the graphics because $200 is a lot to spend in a month.
I wouldn't spend any money on LGA 775, there's not going to be another upgrade path for it, so keep your motherboard and go with another 8800GT if you really need it. Bear in mind that this will limit you to the Nvidia chipsets when you upgrade.
I would sell my 8800GT, but I couldnt find anybody interested in it, and when I do, they are usually low-balling me to the point where I dont think its worth selling. I dont trust online much either because of previous experiences.
eBay. Nobody's going to give you more money for it elsewhere.
I was on newegg and saw an 8800GT in stock for $114
for ten bucks more you can get a much better video card Turns out ten bucks cheaper after MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130435
8800GT = 9800GT 9800GTX+ = GTS 250
 

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Messages
5,957
Location
United States
I wouldn't spend any money on LGA 775, there's not going to be another upgrade path for it, so keep your motherboard and go with another 8800GT if you really need it. Bear in mind that this will limit you to the Nvidia chipsets when you upgrade.
Yeah, I know. Thats whats holding me back.
 
Top