Securing a PC and connection against malicious intrusion.

Thelps

Solid State Member
Hi all,
It has reached a point where I know beyond reasonable doubt that someone is aware of my internet activities, and that either this person knows me personally or knows someone local to me.

I am running a PC connected to a wireless router (although this particular machine is hardwired to the router) with Windows 8 installed.

Could any experts in the field of internet security please give me a checklist of how to secure my machine against advanced-level intrusion attempts? My wireless network is secured very well, with a regularly changing password and strong (superior to WEP) encryption.

I need to ensure that, at least as far as my machine is concerned, there is no malware or suspicious programs (potentially even custom-coded malware by someone I knew in the past) present rendering my online activity public to someone who wishes to snoop on me. Once this is confirmed I simply need to gather sufficient evidence that someone has 'socially hacked' my ISP by befriending someone who works there.

Before I begin that line of enquiry, however, it is imperative that I make all efforts to secure my machine at an advanced level.

I am, of course, running a paid-for antivirus and maintain a close watch on my machine's resources via system monitor. However, Windows being as it is, the amount of background activity taking up hardware resources is large and unpredictable, making it difficult to identify safe activity from that of those who would take an interest in my internet activity.

If anyone here has an advanced knowledge of PC security could they assist me? I am an intermediate-level user and am confident dealing with the more advanced aspects of windows such as the registry etc.

Your assistance would be life-changingly welcome.

how to ensure no malicious software is installed? format and reinstall OS. build it. then use something like the link below to boot fresh every time.

How to Easily Reset a Computer Back to a Clean State Each Time It Boots

hire the best private investigator you can to see if someone hacked your isp.

and buy a good vpn service so no one can snoop your public internet transmissions. such as proxpn

edit - the basics would be install all necessary software and firmware updates and setup your firewall.

you could run snort for IDS and other network audit utilities to scan for weak points in your network connection.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom