Random Chit Chat

Let's just say I don't want to be forced to replace what can do the job very well ;)

Another figh.. I mean discussion...

Do you guys use computer parts for what they were consideratly (if that's a word) made for? I don't see anyone talking about heavy 3D games or encoding to need +med-range video cards and CPU's. Or do you get them just for fun like I sometimes do (barely now)?

Let's just say I don't want to be forced to replace what can do the job very well ;)

Another figh.. I mean discussion...

Do you guys use computer parts for what they were consideratly (if that's a word) made for? I don't see anyone talking about heavy 3D games or encoding to need +med-range video cards and CPU's. Or do you get them just for fun like I sometimes do (barely now)?

Yeah, I usually do use them for the most obvious purpose for which they were designed. Hardware acceleration is cool and all, but only if you are doing certain things periodically and on a larger scale. I'm not going to bother setting up encoding acceleration to encode a video every 2 months.

It's a cool question, though. What else can you do with a graphics card other than rendering graphics or accelerating physics calculations?

Yeah, I usually do use them for the most obvious purpose for which they were designed. Hardware acceleration is cool and all, but only if you are doing certain things periodically and on a larger scale. I'm not going to bother setting up encoding acceleration to encode a video every 2 months.

It's a cool question, though. What else can you do with a graphics card other than rendering graphics or accelerating physics calculations?

Yes, I meant doing the supposed stuff in good intervals. Every 2 month is not worth having high-end hardware. Just runit on a low-end/mid-range and leave it for a while. It's only once every 2 months after all.

Mining. At some point it was a thing that people needed high-end video cards to process. But games is the most reason for home users really.

Since I'm not a gamer or a miner my PC is rather high end. It's not for bragging rights either but for stability as well for performance. It's also pretty much up to date.

Also I bought my Windows 10 through retail store instead of bargain bins and never had one iota of problem with it. Makes a difference.

Mining. At some point it was a thing that people needed high-end video cards to process.

That's true. However, serious people just use mining hardware now, right? Is it even worth it to use your card to mine nowadays? It feels like when miners came out, Bitcoins must have devaluated and cards shouldn't have been worth using anymore. Unless there is no real difference between the two in terms of speed or energy consumption.

My video card has that function. It gives me the option to use it for graphics or mining.

IIRC it was a DIP switch onboard.

Mine does too Cel

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

My biggest issue right now is the stupid Modem that spectrum has. It stopped working last night and later on came back on after talking with customer service decided to get a tech here today to figure out what the hell is going on. He said that there was some connections loose outside and something about only getting low signal. He also changed the router. I just went out again when i tried to post the above post. Kicked it about three times in frustration and it started working!!! I gave it two more kicks for good measure. Works fine so far. If it don't i am going to send it to the gun range for some target practice!!!

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

I am really getting tired of these so called assholes who call themselfs techs!!! Here it goes again!! Now cable is acting up too!! Maybe i need to kick it around too!!!
\]

Deb called them as it went out again. I told them that they fix it or i am taking all the shit outside and have a session of target practice. He was here in about one minute! Now if he fixes it... Yes i am Pissed!!

Mining is not a function to toggle. It's no different than deciding to encode videos via the GPU instead of playing a game. Some manufacturers could gimmick it as a function, tho. I believe VRAM only has to be 4GB to work, at least with the software I've seen.

Oh, i5's are now 6/12 cores/threads and i3's are as powerful as some early i7's. Thank you, AMD. Thank you, competition.

Don't be a stranger, WD ;)

Back
Top Bottom