Random Chit Chat

Compatibility my foot. It's planned obsolescence.

Made my point.
Not really. What I'm talking about is progression, not planned obsolescence so your point wasn't made.

Planned obsolescence is what car makers do where they produce a new "model" of a car every year with mostly cosmetic changes. It could also be that a product is developed with an artificially reduced lifetime precisely to make it so the product will need to be replaced periodically. For instance, printer cartridges that will stop printing after a certain date even though they are still otherwise functional and still contain ink.

Programmed obsolescence is more like when Samsung or Apple release updates that make phones extremely slow or buggy.

It gets to a point where further development of software for certain hardware just becomes too wasteful. You can't pretend that hardware manufacturers keep developing drivers forever and ever. It's just economics.

I would say most Linux distributions are way more forgiving on older hardware than Windows. I feel this is because Linux often provides open-source, generic drivers that work on most hardware for those who own hardware that has little Linux support from vendors (because this is a widespread issue, not so much in Windows). So, for example, if Nvidia stopped developing drivers for my card I can still use the generic driver that is available in the the kernel.
Also, since Linux distros offer a bit more control, falling back to older drivers is much easier than in other operating systems.
On top of all that, the kernel can be compiled for virtually any platform. If MS won't provide an ARM version of Windows, you are scewed. If MS decides to drop support for 32-bit libraries, you are screwed. And so on.

Unfortunately as a gamer Linux is not that good. Lately it's good with emulation but still support for PC games is not near as good as with Windows. Couple of years ago the Satellite external card and the XBOX 360 controller did not work. Dunno now but this wasn't long ago. I'm afraid Linux does not cut it here. Not sure about random apps that come to mind from time to time, tho. The other days I wanted an app that sorts MP3 files to work on car head unit in a specific order and found it in no time for Windows. I have a feeling on Linux I would have pulled my hair. Have wait for it to grow back first, I'm a skinhead now.

Windows does not even come close to Linux in heavy stability and security, of course. But that's irrelevant here.

Last edited:
Not really. What I'm talking about is progression, not planned obsolescence so your point wasn't made.

Planned obsolescence is what car makers do where they produce a new "model" of a car every year with mostly cosmetic changes. It could also be that a product is developed with an artificially reduced lifetime precisely to make it so the product will need to be replaced periodically. For instance, printer cartridges that will stop printing after a certain date even though they are still otherwise functional and still contain ink.

No, no noo... Are you saying Cell, the Oracle, is wrong?

He's the Oracle! He's never wrong!

:hide:

Back to subject, tho. It's strange how things never break with me unless they are known for bad quality or something. Otherwise they stay with me for way long. Is it possible people use that argument as an excuse to buy new stuff and get rid of the old ones for no pressing reason? Or to justify their carelessness in taking care of their stuff? I can do that :D

Unfortunately as a gamer Linux is not that good. Lately it's good with emulation but still support for PC games is not near as good as with Windows. Couple of years ago the Satellite external card and the XBOX 360 controller did not work. Dunno now but this wasn't long ago. I'm afraid Linux does not cut it here. Not sure about random apps that come to mind from time to time, tho. The other days I wanted an app that sorts MP3 files to work on car head unit in a specific order and found it in no time for Windows. I have a feeling on Linux I would have pulled my hair. Have wait for it to grow back first, I'm a skinhead now.

Windows does not even come close to Linux in heavy stability and security, of course. But that's irrelevant here.

I thought compatibility with older hardware was the issue, not compatibility with games AND older hardware. Kind of two completely different things. When discussing any kind of compatibility beyond obscure architectures and old legacy hardware, Linux is inferior. In fact, if you are not worried about privacy, or have some severe hardware limitations, I have no idea why anyone would even consider a Linux distribution over Windows 10 on desktop applications, now that you don't have to pay for a license and Windows 10 runs pretty well on old hardware.

Back
Top Bottom