Random Chit Chat

Re: All animals can scream

He's more like 'ESL Guy' than anything. Certain forms of humour don't translate well.
I speak and write only in Spanish on a daily basis. I actually use English just for forums and such. I watch shows in English, but the subs are always Spanish [emoji14]

Humour as as in Humour Simpson?

Okay, now I'm being Silly_Guy :)

Actually, I'm an EFL guy. English is a foreign language here, not second like in let's say some parts of India or like French in Canada. EFL people have weird reception of English that native English and ESL speakers sometimes find... well, weird! Let alone that learning English for us is considered an achievement.

So, if evil is bad, what would good be?

Amusement is control

I finally located an official backport of Firefox 52 for Debian 8. I can now watch Netflix without resorting to the abomination that is Google Chrome. Performance seems to be significantly better as well; I'm getting far fewer frame drops.

Re: Amusement is control

I finally located an official backport of Firefox 52 for Debian 8. I can now watch Netflix without resorting to the abomination that is Google Chrome. Performance seems to be significantly better as well; I'm getting far fewer frame drops.

What is wrong with Google Chrome may I ask?

How does that browser do on the HTML5 test? Check it here: https://html5test.com/

I am using Chrome58 and like it quite a bit. It handles all that I need it to as a web developer.

Last edited:

What is wrong with Google Chrome may I ask?

How does that browser do on the HTML5 test?

Chrome's resource usage is atrocious. It's a decent browser on a new computer, but that is not something I have. Its form of flash also has the worst video scaling I have seen in my life. Unless watching at native resolution, videos are bordering on unwatchable. This may be specific to the linux build, however.

It scored 460 on the HTML5 test. Some features are likely disabled due to lack of hardware support and the fact that it's a backport.

Last edited:

Chrome's resource usage is atrocious. It's a decent browser on a new computer, but that is not something I have.

It scored 460 on the HTML5 test.

460? wow, that is not one I would care to develop pages for.
Good luck using it.:rolleyes:

It's Firefox. This score is quite typical for it. I just checked and the max score for the current Windows build is 474.

Probably why most developers are now developing for Chrome. :)
HTML5 is just so much more useful and powerful than the older iterations are or were.

I test sites in about 15 Browsers but really only care about 3 or 4. As long as it works well in Chrome, it can be used with a recommendation to download and use the newest version of Chrome if you are having trouble viewing the page.

Firefox, Opera, Edge, IE and Safari are still lagging behind, but will be forced to catch up eventually. The funny thing is, in the beginning, '09, only Firefox and IE supported HTML5 at all.

BTW, you can adjust Chrome to use fewer resources if you like.

How can I make Chrome work on a system with 1GB of memory? It was completely unusable. I simply reverted to seamonkey, and the computer now works so much better.

Honestly, why should I even care that Chrome has more theoretical capabilities? What I'm using works fine, and that's good enough for me. I get where you're coming from as a developer, but for someone like me, it doesn't particularly matter.

Besides, I don't exactly have much trust in Google. I don't feel like reading their stupid-long EULA just to figure out how much of my data they're aggregating.

Also, as mentioned before, the video scaling thing. It's seriously bad. They may have fixed this, though. I've never bothered to check. Pepper Flash always ran like garbage for me anyway.

Not that any of this matters anyway—My primary browser is Seamonkey (or lynx when on mobile.) I just use Firefox for Netflix purposes.

E: Speaking of firefox, why do I have to keep mashing F11 every time I change URLs? Is there a way to fix this? Seamonkey has true fullscreen, where you mouse to the top of the page in order to show the tab bar. Never mind; I figured it out. You have to switch tabs through keyboard commands. While this is less-than-ideal, it's still a perfectly acceptable solution.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom