Question on extending a wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austindo140

Solid State Member
Hello everyone
I have recently moved to a new house. Our computer and wireless router is in a room which has a brick wall on one side. Unfortunately, the brick wall is where the rest of the house is. Meaning our wireless signal is not reaching all the way back to my room in the other side of the house.
I am wanting to be able to have a good, reliable wireless connection on the other side of our house. I have ran an Ethernet cable from our router, through the attic, to my Playstation 3 (Which is in my room on the other side of the house). I was trying to figure out if there was a wifi extender that i can actually PLUG IN to the ethernet cable in my room to still have a good connection.
I noticed that some will actually bounce the connection, but i wont do that, seeing as how the connection will become unreliable at times.

So my question is, is there a wireless extender that you can plug into an ethernet cable which is hooked up to the router?

Couldn't you just buy another router to put in your room? Then plug the Ethernet cable into it and then another cable going out to your PS3.

I don't know if there would be any interference by having 2 routers that close but someone else can probably answer that.

there wouldn't be any interference unless you don't have encryption on either. If both routers are open and within range it could cause some issues. You could also just buy an access point which is essentially a router without the 4/8 ports on the back. As fairfieldfalconsfan suggested, get another router, and you can have your PS3 directly connected which will be better when you want to use it (wired connection > wifi, always), and have the wifi as well.

I dont understand what either of you are trying to explain. How would i put another router in my room? That would mean i would need another modem and i would have to wire it from the cable that goes to the modem at our computer.

You would need a wireless router not a modem. The Ethernet cable you have your PS3 plugged into would go into the back of the router. Then you would get another short cable and plug it in the router and your PS3.

The wireless router would make a stronger wireless signal in that end of the house. Like Peter.Cort said make sure you have encryption on both of them.

If running a cable isn't an option you can extend your wireless signal by using another wireless router or access point. I plan on doing this in my house because my PS3 and computer are at opposite ends of my house. Whether i put the router on one end or the other the signal gets to the other locaiton, but not strong enough to play games.

So some of these steps may not be precise as i'm still studying how to do this myself.

The idea is you have one wired connection, lets say for argument your computer. So at your computer you have your wireless router and PC. Now about halfway from your wireless router you setup another wireless router or access point. This device needs to have the ability to go into client mode which essentially means it picks up the wireless signal, rebroadcasts it which in turn extends your wireless network. You have to turn DCHP off on this second router so you don't have IP conflicts. Obviously there will also be some configuration involved with the second router like wireless encryption, ect. The first router should be configured as normal.

I plan on doing this in the coming months, so once i actually do it i can provide more detailed instructions (probably not soon enough for you though).

You would need a wireless router not a modem. The Ethernet cable you have your PS3 plugged into would go into the back of the router. Then you would get another short cable and plug it in the router and your PS3.

The wireless router would make a stronger wireless signal in that end of the house. Like Peter.Cort said make sure you have encryption on both of them.
How do you put encryptions on a router? we dont have an encryption on our current one.

I am not postive how but I can give it my best shot. Your router has an IP address (try Googling to find your brands IP) and when you type that in the address bar you need to enter a username and password (defaults can be found through Google). Then you should get to a menu with different tabs/sections and there should be one called security or something similar. Then look for an option to enable WPA2 and then you should have to set a password. Then when you go to connect you will have to enter the password.

I think that's the basic instructions but every router will be different. Hope fully someone else can confirm or add something to the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom