Question about dual Operating Systems

Gabis1207

Awkward moment when...
I have an HDD, and an SSD. My brother likes Windows 8.1, and I like Kubuntu 12.04.
here's the question:
If I were to install Windows on the HDD, and Kubuntu on the SSD, is there a way to choose which one to boot from (Like the screen you see when you have two OSs on the same drive), aside from changing the order in my BIOS every time I turn on my computer?

There should be, When I had Windows 7 Beta I did the same thing, When installing I just picked the second HD as the target and when it booted up it asked which operating system I wanted to boot to.

Dauntae

You can either manually pick the HDD through the BIOS's temp selection menu (usually F10 or F12), or you can add the other OS to the one OS's bootloader. Just depends if you want to use the Windows bootloader, or Kubuntu's bootloader (which I assume is GRUB2).

If you want to use Windows' bootloader.. then use EasyBCD from NeoSmart. If you want to use the GRUB2 bootloader... then you need to run the GRUB scan command through terminal (I can't remember what it is off the top of my head) and it should scan the drives for other OS's to add to the bootloader.

There are so many ways to dual boot hard drives. From boot loaders, option roms and even phyiscally hardware modding.
I once used a couple of toggle switches to switch the drives around from master to slave and vise versa. These days I use a option rom on my network cards to run plop boot manager. Super easy to use, it scans the drives and reads the MBR (master boot record).

Back
Top Bottom