Pros and Cons of building your own router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL Oh, man... I'm sorry. xD
Though, envy comes to mind with that Fiber you'll be getting. I'd kill for that.

By the way, I totally misread a couple posts. I thought the consensus was router = no way you'll get greater speeds. lol.

I wouldn't be going cheap, actually. The router I have now is fairly decent, I mean it gives me 20Mb/s speeds and I've never had any problems playing around online.

What I would be doing is taking a fairly older PC with a 1.2GHz processor and throwing down some gigabit cards and turning that into a router with a router OS that's supposed to be far better than preloaded OSs. Apparently this Netgear Wireless-N Router that I have only has, like, a 500MHz processor in with hardware to match. Not much, but you really don't need much for a router, I imagine. Plus, the OS is supposed to have a great firewall or something.

I'll have to severely cut down my download though - all the fiber internet packages that are coming, and are within sensible pricing range (<$100/mo) are limited to 50GB T_T I use that in a week, usually.

If you read my post, you will see that I fully explained the aspect about routers not giving you greater speeds. When 1 company releases 6 routers and they are all sold through the same outlet, they have to do something to ensure that people will buy the highest costing model. So they throddle it. If not then what is the point of releasing 6 models? You missed the point completely.

If you are already getting 20Mbps down you will not see an increase in speed by dedicating a system to act as your router.

Wow, Yami, so do I. That's a terrible max range. I'm not sure I want faster net that badly. xD

And KSoD, I understood what you were getting at. My post was saying that I read it in a way that said routers have no effect at all, but, as you pointed out both times, it depends on the router's tier when it comes to commercial marketing. I would wager my router is about...mid-grade. Fairly decent. Though, I didn't mean to infer that I was going to build a bigger, better router to try to get better speeds just because I realized a better router would, in some cases, give you better speeds. It was more of a whole package kind of deal. Better OS with better functionality with some better hardware just to overkill (though this hardware would be overkilled by Cisco routers).

And my bad, Ksod. I wasn't paying attention to what I was referencing. I'll keep that in mind next time. Although, I wasn't referencing anything illegal, but my reference was vague, so, it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom