Issues with Ethernet connections

nowayyjose

Beta member
-Router(provided by cable company): Netgear AC1900 C6300BD

-Ethernet cable: Cat5e for both. long cable connected from the router to built gaming PC, short cable from router to PS4

-Roommate has a wireless printer. It's not shared though but I can access it with the IP so maybe it is.

-I'm paying for the Premier service on COX so I really think it should be enough

-Cox manages and provides the router, roommate and I use it, and the apartment complex gives us the modem. The complex actually provides it's own ethernet service too(I mean when you can plug it into the wall since I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly).

-And I'm not sure what to look for in the configuration pages and settings.

My roommate is convinced that my desktop being plugged into the router is disrupting his internet connection when he streams HBO or Netflix on his PS4 even when my device is turned off. When I say "even when my device is turned off" I mean he thinks that it somehow can still cause the problem. He just unplugs the cable if he can see it. On or Off.But both devices are connected via ethernet. Is this what's happening? How do I fix it?

Calling the cable company hasn't helped since they just reset the router every time. We have asked the apartment complex to help and they've given us a new modem(I'm talking about the splitter thing in the wall since I'm not sure if that's the correct term) and reset our connections multiple times. We've gone through a couple changes in routers as well and the problem just has not been solved.

However, we have not experienced issues on any devices connected via wifi when our devices are both connected via ethernet.

Speed tests for my internet works fine. I've never had an issue with internet since moving here(a year now). However his PS4's speed tests seem to vary. There are times where the router LAN switch lights change from green to amber when my device is plugged in. Also, my device's connection is the one that changes to amber but I don't notice a change.

There is a noticeable change in resolution and buffering speed when he unplugs my device. It's gotten to the point where he just disconnects me even when I'm using my computer.

I've gone on my router's ip address and have noticed the following recurring events in the log(not sure if this helps):
ping of death
illegal fragments

but the targets and sources of these are none of the IPs of the devices connected to our router.

in the ipconfig, there's an Ethernet adapter, tunnel adapter for local area connection, and tunnel adapter isatap.

The media states for the tunnel adapters are disconnected and the DHCP is not enabled for either

And I know how to log in through the router's IP but I changed the password.So Not sure if it's a security issue. Not sure what's going on.

So my questions:
How can ethernet connections interfere and does that even happen? I've never heard of that. Only with wifi
I don't think it's this but is the router faulty?
Is it the cables(also doubtful on this)?
Should I just sacrifice connection speed, use a wifi adapter on my desktop and call it a day?(I'd really rather not)
What do I do?

Thanks for the help.

I'm sorry I do not know how to check for that. I also just noticed the Enable Wifi button on the router is broken and it's actually permanently pressed in. Could that cause any problems?

Back
Top Bottom