Got ddosed at home, what should I do?

Modern_Mo

Beta member
Hi, I use a friend of mine's Teamspeak for a community we run together. I host our game server (Arma 3). We had a old friend join that I always hated due to he would swear and curse at people for no reason, he then somehow found my ip (he never had access to find out I was hosting the Arma 3 server). I'd keep banning him after he'd spam me, but after a bit he'd join right back with a VPN. This time In his Teamspeak name was my ip, he was trying to rub it in. So I'm like ya ya empty threats as he was threading to Ddos be for false banning him on the Teamspeak that I am same rank as the owner. So little bit latter I start lagging and hearing people robotic, so thinking smart I opened my connection info and noticed almost 100% incoming packet loss, even my dad watching Netflix was getting disconnections so it was not just my PC. Then I crash so I let my dad know that I recived ddos threats and we were recivig a ddos, of course I told him the best idea is to call your isp, so we did they said that their connection to our router was fine. Note that about this point it was still happening slightly but I was still getting disconnected. So our isp said to contact our router provider, so again we called apple tech support and they said nope nothing wrong with your router, now though the ddosing stopped after Apple could not do anything nor could help me on what to do when I'm getting ddosed. So I hop on Teamspeak and tell my friends the server is gonna be down for a bit as Apple made us reset our router settings and during when the 4 of us are chatting about downtime and such the ddoser joined the server and said HOWS IT FEEL NOW! And ever one started to give him issues as its not just me he's effecting it's every one else too and he's like "so do I care? I hate Canadians so I ddos them" so I ban him for the who knows how many time now. So of course my great friends come up with this idea while I'm AFK to ddos him back, of course he checks the logs for his up and finds it then ddoses him with a billion packets (what he said) but ofcourse I'm not sure if they ddoses the Von or him as the ddoser joined later and tried to bother us more but we asked how's revenge feel? And he said what? I never got ddosed... And that's were it ended for this night, it just happened recently so I don't know what's gonna happen tomorrow. All the help I'll take, thanks guys!

Ps I don't mind contacting authorities( mostly perfered if there is a way I can)

Usually a reboot of your router will issue a new IP address, since I assume you are not paying extra for a static one. Do that and change the port your game server runs on if possible.

Can you change the name of your host and/or username to prevent this user from finding you again? Sorry if that isn't possible I'm not much of a gamer.

Short of that the only ideas that come to mind would require some specialized firewall rules or features that you might not be comfortable with. And obviously notifying your ISP which it sounds like you already did.

Ps I don't mind contacting authorities( mostly perfered if there is a way I can)

Good luck with that...

The simplest and cheapest way to deal with this is to file a complaint with the guys isp as it's likely that their terms of service prohibit malicious use of their bandwidth. They may be willing to intervene.

Router resets, IP bans and simpler solution may provide some temp relief but if he is seriously about causing you misery he will persist. After this the next step would be a fire wall or some other protection scheme. Google 'ddos protection service' . :flowers:

Good luck with that...

The simplest and cheapest way to deal with this is to file a complaint with the guys isp as it's likely that their terms of service prohibit malicious use of their bandwidth. They may be willing to intervene.

Router resets, IP bans and simpler solution may provide some temp relief but if he is seriously about causing you misery he will persist. After this the next step would be a fire wall or some other protection scheme. Google 'ddos protection service' . :flowers:
I got his ip, I don't know if it's his Vpn or his my friend got it for me somehow. How do I find out who his Isp is to report it?

Resetting your router would not issue a new IP. ISP's change your IP once every few months and that's at the fastest. And also UK ISP's. I don't think America does it differently but maybe.

I would recommend getting all your friends to chip in a couple of dollars a month, renting a dedicated server and host the game from a remote location. That way your not screwing over your dads Netflix and the company you rent with will have their own DDOS protection.

Also the aim of a DDOS is to shut a server down. From the workload. To do this more than one machine is needed and that's why hackers use bot nets, which are a whole bunch of infected computers, used as puppets to make connections to the server.

This guy sounds like a script kiddie, if he was a real hacker or could actually do any harm he would have a different pot of gold in his sight rather than annoying you or disrupting your game.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom