Problem transferring files from the PC to Buffalo LinkStation NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to doubt any suggestion, but I did not do anything different in the Zone Alarm setup for each PC and Laptop. And again the each transfer is going thru the router so the setting on the router should affect transfer from any device, yet it only happens to PC1.

The fact that it only happens to PC1 is the reason I think it's a port not forwarded properly. This is just something to try. Set PC1 with a static IP then log into your router and foward the port that your NAS uses for PC1's IP. It doesn't make any sense why you would have to do this but it's something to try.

The PC1 has the static IP, so does the LinkStation. I used the DHCP Reservation to set that up. I know how to do the port forwarding for the application, but not sure how to do it for a device.

Here is the link to the router emulator: D-LINK SYSTEMS, INC | WIRELESS ROUTER | HOME

Any ideas how to port forward for the device?

Thanks

The fact that it only happens to PC1 is the reason I think it's a port not forwarded properly. This is just something to try. Set PC1 with a static IP then log into your router and foward the port that your NAS uses for PC1's IP. It doesn't make any sense why you would have to do this but it's something to try.

Port forward or the routing setting won't make any difference, this is a local area network problem so we are only dealing with the switch and hub.

Some of the problem might be to blame with the network card setting. Take a look at your network card setting in Device Manager. Here's what I'm talking about as an example:

Stuff like LinkSpeed, auto negotiation and Duplex setting can affect your file transfer. List what you got as a setting. Also, have you tried bypassing the Hub?

Attachments

• nc.jpg
    nc.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 116
You shouldn't forward the device you should forward the port the device uses. Like if the linkstation does all it's file transfers using the FTP you will need to forward port 21. If the device uses something else for file transfer forward the port of what ever that protocol is. Here is a list of all the protocols and there port listing. If it is a portforwarding issue, finding the protocol the NAS uses and fowarding the port for that protocol should fix the problem.

I also use the Asus P5B Deluxe and onboard network port. What are the correct values for those properties should be? I did not change anything in that screen for that port, so I assume that the values are the default ones.

Port forward or the routing setting won't make any difference, this is a local area network problem so we are only dealing with the switch and hub.

That's right, configuring portforwarding on your router will do you no god, but if the port that you NAS uses to transfer files is blocked on a firewall of some sort you will have transfer problems. Sorry for steering you wrong.

Not sure what do you mean by the FireWall. Is it the frewall on the router or Zone Alerm? I aslo don't know what port the linkstation is using.

I also use the Asus P5B Deluxe and onboard network port. What are the correct values for those properties should be? I did not change anything in that screen for that port, so I assume that the values are the default ones.

Well the one on my system are:

802.1p Support = off
flowcontrol = on
hardware checksumming = on
interrupt moderation = on
jumbo frames = disable
log status messages = status messages
max irq per sec = 5000
network address = not present
number of receive buffers = 256
number of transmit buffers = 256
speed & duplex = auto-sense
tcp segmentation = enabled
wake from shutdown = off
wake up capabilities = magic packet & pattern

Driver version for Marvell Yurkon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet

They are default also, I don't remember changing them and there is no transfer problem with this system.

Not sure what do you mean by the FireWall. Is it the frewall on the router or Zone Alerm? I aslo don't know what port the linkstation is using.

I'm sorry about telling you to go into your router. In my office we have NAS's that are miles and miles away and we have to open ports on our routers to access them. Your routers firewall shouldn't effect any local traffic. Plus if your PC1 in transfering fine to everything but your NAS I don't think it's your network card settings. Look in Zone Alarm and see what ports are open. Your NAS might use FTP to transfer files, so make sure Port 21 is open. Hope you figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom