Problem transferring files from the PC to Buffalo LinkStation NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

suppafreak

In Runtime
I am having problems transferring files from PC to the NAS. What happens is that the transfer starts normally, but after about a minute the transfer speed slows down to a crawl. This problem does not happen when I transfer files from the wireless laptptop or the wireless PC.

Attached is the diagram of my home network. The network consists of the following components:

1. D-Link WBR-2310 Wireless router.
2. PC1 connected to the WBR-2310
3. Laptop with D-Link DWL-G650 wireless card.
4. PC2 with D-Link DWA-2320 wireless card.
5. Linksys 4 port switch connected to WBR-2310 Wireless router.
6. Buffalo LinkStation 320GB NAS connected to the WBR-2310 thru the Linksys 4 port switch.
7. Media Center connected to the WBR-2310 thru the Linksys 4 port switch.
8. HP network printer connected to the WBR-2310
9. Modem connected to the WBR-2310

Device #2 and #5 connected with 100baseT cable. Device #8 connected with 10BaseT cable.

Here are the test the I performed:
I am copying the 400MB file to the Buffalo LinkStation.

Going the rout: 2->1->5->6 the total time is VERY LONG (an hour at least).
Going the rout: 3->1->5->6 the total time is about 3 min.
Creating a shared folder on Device #2 and accessing it from Device #3 and then doing the transfer also takes about 3 min.
Going the rout: 4->1->5->6 the total time is about 4 min.

At first I thought it was the router so I replaced the DI-624 with the WBR-2310. That was not the case. I thought that it might be the Buffalo LinkStation, but that seems to be OK when transferring wireless rout. So at this point I do not know what the problem is.

At first I thought it was the router so I replaced the DI-624 with the WBR-2310. That was not the case. I thought that it might be the Buffalo LinkStation, but that seems to be OK when transfering wireless rout. So at this point I do not know what the problem is.

Please let me know if you require more information and I will provide it.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Attachments

• dqnetwork.jpg
    dqnetwork.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 521
Hi, I have a similar setup, minus the wireless PC, the Hub, and the media center....

I have the WBR-2310 as well, but my NAS is the DLink DNS-323... I have noticed that the transfers are pretty slow lately, but I am concentrating on the *goodies* of the DNS-323 lately, as I now have telnet access to it, and also a linux webserver running on it..... I will have to do some tests when I get a chance to see if there are differences like you are seeing. I have about 200-300 Gigs of data on there, and right now, it is all on my gaming rig, since I upgraded the NAS firmware and formated the RAID1 array a short while ago. I usually let the transfer's run overnight.

dam, that makes my pic look first grade
networkou9.png

Can you provide more information about PC1, system spec including hardware and software (especially security software).

"Creating a shared folder on Device #2 and accessing it from Device #3 and then doing the transfer also takes about 3 min."

It sounded like PC1 upload is slow, but its download are fast when you said you use your laptop to upload to PC1 right? Or did I read that wrong?

The specs of the PC1

Intel Core 2 Duo 6400
2 MB ram
80 GB HD SATA 1.5
150 GB HD SATA 1.5
320 GB HD SATA 3
ATI Video card
CD Drive
CD/DVD RW Drive

Windows XP SP2
Zone Alarm Enterprise edition. (All PCs and Laptop has Zone Alarm Enterprise edition installed)

Laptops specs are much lower. It is the Dell Inspiron 1150.

Downloading speed going from 6->5->1->2 is the same as the upload speed. You read it wrong. Copying the files between the laptop or PC2 and PC1 is not an issue. The only issue is uploading or downloading the files from PC1 to the Buffalo LinkStation and from the LinkStation to PC1.

The specs of the PC1

Intel Core 2 Duo 6400
2 MB ram
80 GB HD SATA 1.5
150 GB HD SATA 1.5
320 GB HD SATA 3
ATI Video card
CD Drive
CD/DVD RW Drive

Windows XP SP2
Zone Alarm Enterprise edition. (All PCs and Laptop has Zone Alarm Enterprise edition installed)

Laptops specs are much lower. It is the Dell Inspiron 1150.

Downloading speed going from 6->5->1->2 is the same as the upload speed. You read it wrong. Copying the files between the laptop or PC2 and PC1 is not an issue. The only issue is uploading or downloading the files from PC1 to the Buffalo LinkStation and from the LinkStation to PC1.

I want to say there is a problem with #5 your Linksys Hub but I can not be fully positive. The only solution and reasonable answer I can give you is to test this out by plugging your NAS device to your D-Link router and try and test the transfer again. If it stops happening, I think I might know the problem. So just try this out.

That was my thought too, but no matter how you cut it, the file transfer goes through the Hub... I was thinking that for some reason there was background traffic whenever the transer was in progress from that host, like an auto backup or something.... But, the test is a good idea either way.

I didn't get a chance to try that test on my network last night.

I'm not saying the Linsys hub is your problem, I was just wondering why you are using it. It looks like you have 4 wired devices and your router has 4 wired ports doesn't it? Just curious.

I am using the hub because it is in the other room, next to my entertainment system. I also keep the Linkstation there. There is a 10feet cable running from the router to the hub. I do have another port available on the router. But in any case I will try the test bypassing the hub. Although that does not explain why the transfer is faster when using wireless Laptop or wireless PC.

That makes since, I don't think it's the hub. If it was the hub it wouldn't copy files fast when you used your wirless. The only thing I can guess is that your NAS uses a specific port and your wired computer doesn't have that port forwarded correctly in ZoneAlarm or the router it's self. That's just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom