Potentially the longest thread in history...

Im so happy to tell beginner computer and PC enthusiasts the pure joys of waiting for parts and materials for up to 3-5 different websites. On different days and times and different delivery companies. Now you can just waltzs into Best buy and for the most part have a pretty decent setup made for you right there.

I'm just wondering how much longer will it be before you literally can't order a laptop with an optical drive in it, not even custom. :D
Optical drives are no longer needed in many newer desktops or laptops. if you need something you simply download it. On many laptops there is no option for an OD ...especially Chrome Books. Desk top pc's are becoming very rare when there are so many tablets, phones and laptops.
I honestly can't recall the last time I read a review for a power supply!

Edit: are there really any people looking to build their own desktops today? not much info about that

Ehh Maybe. But I'm an old man I love my ancient tech. Plus since I am soooo very old I have a lot of DVD's and blue rays. and and and OHHHH yea back in the ancient times music was on CDs. I have some of those fossils.

In places where Microcenter is available, it's a much better place that will actually have a decent selection to choose from. Best Buy is what I tell my customers is a backup place if something that got delivered is DOA. Even though I'm 45 minutes from the closest Microcenter here in DFW most still opt to go there to get what they need. 9 times out of 10 pretty much everybody will order all parts off one site, usually Amazon with Prime delivery.

I have had an external Bluray reader for almost a decade now if anything other than my retro machines need an actual disc. I even have Vinyl here :cool:
I've used it a grand total of 4 times. Once to rip my copy of The Clone Wars BluRay for Plex, once to burn a spare copy of XP for a hardware test, once to rip a set of DVDs from a friend to add to Plex, and once to rip a replacement copy of the first Call of Duty to replace some bad ISOs on my file server.

We still don't really have any big high street stores that sell good gaming PC parts here. It's better than it was ten years ago but you'll still only get a small selection of parts and they tend to be low to mid-range stuff, I don't think I can walk into a high street store anywhere and find a 4090 or anything like that. The high street stores mainly focus on peripherals, so you get a good selection of Razer and Logitech mice and keyboards, headsets, gaming chairs and all that stuff. It's fine though, plenty of good websites offering all the hardware.

In places where Microcenter is available, it's a much better place that will actually have a decent selection to choose from. Best Buy is what I tell my customers is a backup place if something that got delivered is DOA. Even though I'm 45 minutes from the closest Microcenter here in DFW most still opt to go there to get what they need. 9 times out of 10 pretty much everybody will order all parts off one site, usually Amazon with Prime delivery.

I have had an external Bluray reader for almost a decade now if anything other than my retro machines need an actual disc. I even have Vinyl here :cool:
I've used it a grand total of 4 times. Once to rip my copy of The Clone Wars BluRay for Plex, once to burn a spare copy of XP for a hardware test, once to rip a set of DVDs from a friend to add to Plex, and once to rip a replacement copy of the first Call of Duty to replace some bad ISOs on my file server.
Dammum. Ive never seen a micro center in USA; i must have avoided them. Although Fry's Electronics was nice while it lasted.

Dammum. Ive never seen a micro center in USA; i must have avoided them. Although Fry's Electronics was nice while it lasted.
They have one in Chicago:
2645 N Elston Ave

The closest to me are the two in the Metro Atlanta area. The Marietta store is the closer of the two since I would be coming down I-75 to get to Atlanta, but I have visited both it and the Duluth store before. I have also been to the Columbus, OH store a couple of times while in the area for work.

Ah I c I c. Well thats cool better to buy parts in person now. Unless its super specific or something.

And Jeez Trotter how many screens you have now? I just imagine you having a private mansion of like at least 8 30' ers next to each across 2-4 rigs. :p

Ah I c I c. Well thats cool better to buy parts in person now. Unless its super specific or something.

And Jeez Trotter how many screens you have now? I just imagine you having a private mansion of like at least 8 30' ers next to each across 2-4 rigs. :p
LOL. I'm just using two, and only one of them 90% of the time. The INNOCN 40" is my main monitor. I have the Sceptre 27" mounted above it, and only use it when I am gaming online so I can see who is speaking in TeamSpeak, and to use ProCon if I am playing BF4.

If I had kept all the parts I have gone through I would easily have 4, 5, 6 rigs but I usually sell my parts cheap to help other gamers out.

LOL. I'm just using two, and only one of them 90% of the time. The INNOCN 40" is my main monitor. I have the Sceptre 27" mounted above it, and only use it when I am gaming online so I can see who is speaking in TeamSpeak, and to use ProCon if I am playing BF4.

If I had kept all the parts I have gone through I would easily have 4, 5, 6 rigs but I usually sell my parts cheap to help other gamers out.
Wow, only 2 monitors thats really impressive. At my height I think I was on 3-4 across 1 desktop rig and a laptop. Though I know people that have custom stands/wall mount for 6+ monitors.

Back
Top Bottom