I highly doubt my fellow tech guys here will help with this...

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Well, here is a story for everyone, and in the end I am requesting help from everyone that has a technical background, or plans to in the future. Here we have Vocational schools, they are basically a second school you go to instead of taking regular electives like Gym or Art, and can take something specialized like Medical, Electrical, Automotive Repair and so on, and work for basic certifications in those fields, or even get Dual Credits to use for getting rid of simple classes in college later on.

Back in 2006 I decided to join the IT program our Vocational school had offered, I attended years 06-07 and 07-08, completed my courses with high marks. During my time at that school, I joined a club called FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) that had many categories for competitions, I ended up in a few different competitions, placing in Regionals, and State, didn't place in nationals, but I did get to attend nationals. It was honestly the funnest, and best time of my life. A few years later I went ahead and grabbed an A+ cert for fun and just didn't pursue my career like I wanted.

Fast forward to mid 2015... I stayed in contact with my teacher, we became fairly decent tech buddies, learned this last week that the vocational school feels his classes are no longer important to the community because he doesn't have enough students signing up year after year to teach.

Now this is a man that I have the HIGHEST respect for that has lost his teaching career at this school, his classes are the reason I straightened up, and started acting like a decent human. I learned a lot, and got to do things that I never thought I would do.

It appears that someone decided to start a petition and a few others are trying to convince the Vocational school HJHATC to keep his classes on-going awhile longer. This is mostly a farming community, but there are always going to be a small group of students that desire to learn about the IT world. Getting a taste of it in Highschool to see if we wish to keep pursuing it further in life is the most important part of starting anything technical, we learn what we want to do at a younger age instead of getting stuck in another field that we may dislike.

In my time there, we learned everything from basic PC troubleshooting and maintenance, to networking, network design, programming, electrical theory, and even circuit design. We had opportunities to learn how to build basic circuits, learned how components worked. His program was and is one of the most rounded and full programs out there.

So in all honesty, I am asking anyone that reads this, to please sign this petition soon, even if you don't know the man, just sign it, and hopefully we can keep an IT Program for the next generation of young technicians alive. Whether the DOE will listen to the community, and to the "industry" via a petition is beyond me, but I would hate to see such a great class end.

https://www.change.org/p/kentucky-department-of-education-restore-the-it-program-at-harrodsburg-atc

Signed
not sure if your DOE will care about signatures from out of district, unless you can get the media involved

Appears a lot of people are getting involved, not sure if the Local Media wants to get involved... They are worse than major broadcasters about sensationalism on certain topics.

Back
Top Bottom