Potentially the longest thread in history...

^****ing LOOOOL XD

Could have done 100Gb Infiniband :p

We're already deep in uncharted territory as far as the company goes, and the IT manager here is...overly cautious to put it nicely :p otherwise I'd love to look further into that haha

That said, I highly doubt I'd be able to get it for anywhere close to the same price. The two switches & 6x SFP+ cables are gonna cost ~$2100AUD all up. We'll be aggregating all 4 links from the Intel servers together too so it'll be a 40Gbps link in the end. Getting a 3rd switch as a backup ready to swap in as well, so all up we're right on $3k for a fully redundant 40Gbps setup with backup hardware ready.

I've seen some 40Gb stuff on Ebay for like 500. I'm seriously tempted even though I really want their Unifi X16. I wouldn't need to upgrade for a long *** time if I had 25+Gb connecting my servers. Older Infiniband is typically way cheaper than 10Gb stuff because people have no idea how to use it.

All our stuff needs to be brand spanking new and come with 5 year warranties is the catch lol, no way in hell I could swing buying 2nd hand gear off ebay to run HQ on :grin:
Tbh I'm surprised as hell that they've actually gone for this idea, I felt sure they'd shut me down and just go with Hitachi and their crappy cached SAN approach (for $20K extra no less). Must be starting to build some trust :D only took 3.5 years lol

If they were willing to spend 20k on the setup that would have bought brand new Infiniband stuff with double the bandwidth available for future proofing tbh. Like the more I look into it the more I might not do 10Gb inner rack anytime soon. Then again, for 500 I could have a new Ubiquiti toy to play with and for 200 more 10Gb between servers AND be able to shoot 10Gb to my PC. Idk.

You guys working at companies spending 10's of thousands of dollars, meanwhile my work is nickel and diming in every conceivable way. I even took out HDDs from an old server surplus to requirements to reduce power draw. :lol:

You guys working at companies spending 10's of thousands of dollars, meanwhile my work is nickel and diming in every conceivable way. I even took out HDDs from an old server surplus to requirements to reduce power draw. :lol:

I'm still waiting to hear back about my purchase request for the Lenovo X270. If it gets declined it'll be a sign of the future of the company and my place in it.

I'm still waiting to hear back about my purchase request for the Lenovo X270. If it gets declined it'll be a sign of the future of the company and my place in it.

I don't mind too much, it's a good thing to be frugal as a business I suppose. It should put the company in good standing for when it does start to finally turn a profit, which it's currently on track to do by the end of the year.

It's all because this company was born out of the old one that went bankrupt. That old company wasted money like no tomorrow. Spent about $3m on a huge project to move everything over to Microsoft CRM and then realised it wouldn't work. You could submit an equipment request form and it just got signed off, they were never even checked. Well the incredible financial waste ended up screwing over the company, so the directors won't make that mistake again.

Looking for master's programs after I graduate....
M.S. in Information Security and Assurance,
M.S. in Information (ie machine learning),
or M.S. in IT Management.... decisions decisions.

Leaning towards the M.S. in Information Security and Assurance, and then later an MBA

Last edited:
Looking for master's programs after I graduate....
M.S. in Information Assurance and Assurance,
M.S. in Information (ie machine learning),
or M.S. in IT Management.... decisions decisions.

Leaning towards the M.S. in Information Security and Assurance, and then later an MBA

Degrees feel so pointless to me right now.
Me and my wife have been lucky so far with where we our in our careers without having a degree.

Yeah, they're not for everyone. But everyone I work with has at least one bachelors so I feel a little behind. :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom