Potentially the longest thread in history...

Ahhhhhh I see. Yeah IOPS sound pretty important then. I get it.

I think you are right though. This is the very first iteration of Optane, it will presumably get much faster. Seems unlikely they release the first product near it's theoretical maximum performance.

Hopefully one day we'll see photonic chips arrive...
Considering Xpoint is meant to take over RAM at one point I'd say yea.

Lol you literally quoted what I said in bold and still overlooked it. As far as the immediate effect it has, it's a let down. Who the **** is going to buy an optane ready system without an SSD? SSD storage is cheap enough that I don't need a hdd any more for anything other than stuff like movie storage. What's optane gonna do, buffer my most watched movies? For nearly all users it's pointless.

If/when it gets better in the future, replaces ram, then sure I'll be happy to use it. But while it's just supplementary caching for slow hdds? Pffffffft :p not spending money on that.

Lol you literally quoted what I said in bold and still overlooked it. As far as the immediate effect it has, it's a let down. Who the **** is going to buy an optane ready system without an SSD? SSD storage is cheap enough that I don't need a hdd any more for anything other than stuff like movie storage. What's optane gonna do, buffer my most watched movies? For nearly all users it's pointless.

If/when it gets better in the future, replaces ram, then sure I'll be happy to use it. But while it's just supplementary caching for slow hdds? Pffffffft :p not spending money on that.

Yeah no reason for me to buy into it at all right now (if I even had a PC). I'll look at again in a couple of years when i've gone back to a desktop PC. Shudda stopped traveling between houses so much by then, so no need for a laptop :D it's really fast and fine... but I still prefer a desktop... the fans on this thing speed up even playing a YouTube video :sleep: and playing a demanding game ? lets just say it's a good job I wear headphones at high volumes.

And you literally looked over the fact that I put it's your opinion AND that the cache isn't the only first Optane device out. Nobody cares about the cache as it's stupid. It's probably the most pointless tech to come out in a while, but the actual SSD that came out isn't bad. Only it's for enterprise but as is most things new.

Im always happy to see new tech but the consumer 32 and 64gb optsne drives i watched a video on seem pointless to probably most people at the moment.

But it could turn into something great.

As a horder myself anything thst brings price down and speeds things up is fine with me.

If i could get a 1tb m.2 ssd for under $200 ill be hsppy as hell lol

This 480gb is killing me with deleting things.

Today I popsicled myself on my skateboard. Missed the jewels luckily :p but god damn falling full weight on a thin board with your quads is so much more painful than you'd think.

Also made it through to the end of a fully sober week :D just an exercise in self control, making sure I can actually do it :p really I should go for another week, but mate's bday is tomorrow so I figure it'd be rude to abstain there hehe

And you literally looked over the fact that I put it's your opinion AND that the cache isn't the only first Optane device out. Nobody cares about the cache as it's stupid. It's probably the most pointless tech to come out in a while, but the actual SSD that came out isn't bad. Only it's for enterprise but as is most things new.

Well YOU literally used the word "literally" wrong :p you can't literally look over an abstract thing like a thought, unless maybe you printed it out or something :grin:

But yes, of course this is just my opinion lol. My entire point was to say that I personally am let down by the hype Intel built up in '15/'16, a ton of which was aimed not at business markets but at your average consumer.

Now I've got a 500gb evo 960 for a few hundred bucks that's very significantly boosted competition , so when intel only drops a few ****ty caching options for consumers like me as their 'big reveal', I am not excited :p

I'll hold my enthusiasm for when they drop SSDs vying for the same market as the 960s.

Back
Top Bottom